Question Problems with hard drive after running chkdsk

Jun 16, 2019
I decided to move to SSD (I had hdd which was quite slow but in fully working order). My hdd is 500gb with 280gb free and my ssd is 480gb. I connected the ssd by a usb cable as I have a laptop. I tried to clone the hdd to the new ssd, but faced write errors. I cloned with 2 different software (Macrium, aomei). I looked through the logs and it said something about a bad sector. So I ran chkdsk on my current hdd. It took over 5 hours (my hard drive is 500gb) and it was stuck at 15% for a long time. I looked through the logs of chkdsk and realised that it had complete only 2 stages. Also, my computer seemed slow. So I decided to restart it. After turning it on, I saw the blue screen stating about a ntfs error (stop code NTFS FILE SYSTEM), but then it restarted. Now I have a black screen with a low-res cursor on it.

What can I do? I had a fully working laptop (I didn't have any issues before), but wanted the best and now I have nothing.

Btw, I have windows 10

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
put the ssd into the laptop and do a fresh install of win 10 on it. once it is working, then try to connect the old hdd by the usb adapter and see if it reads it and let's you get stuff off of it.

prob the easiest way to go about it for now. you'll just have to forget about cloning the hdd and settle for a fresh install.