Problems with HD 6950

CptLang

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
I recently installed W10 on my system that has been running fine on W7... It was just time for a fresh install, and I figured why not go with 10. Anyway, I have tried installing both the Catalyst 15.7.1 WHQL drivers, and the Radeon Crimson driver that's compatible with my HD 6950. I have taken steps several times to get a clean driver install, and yet the driver still crashes, even just using the web browser. Games seem to run well, until they just freeze up, sounds and video, which I can only assume is also a result of the driver crashing and recovering.

My system specs are as follows:
GA990fxa-ud3
Phenom II x4 960t @3.0Ghz
8GB kit of Team 800Mhz (1600mt/s) ddr3
Intel 530 series 120gb ssd for OS
WD blue 1tb storage drive
MSI Twin Frozr II Radeon HD 6950 2Gb OC edition

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help. :)
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics driver.
- Check Programs and Features as well and uninstall anything related to AMD graphics.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and observe if the same problem will persist or not.

Here's the complete guide with doing a clean install.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

If all these will not work your last option would be to do a clean install of Windows 10.

CptLang

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
I did all of that already, except installing W10 again, as it was already a fresh install. In the end, I decided to just go back to 7, and viola, no problems. Honestly, I wish people would read, and not just post a generic answer, as that one obviously is, since the parts involved are desktop class, and the reply refers to laptops (same thing as far as the process goes, but just shows that you didn't actually read my thread, especially since I stated that I tried clean installs). It just looks like windows 10 doesn't support the older cards well, as I was getting the little hiccups and freezes on the desktop even with the basic windows drivers. I hope this helps anyone who finds this because of problems with W10 and an older AMD card.