Problems with HDMI sound from pc to home theatre

xinan

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I bought a home theatre yesterday with 2 hdmi in function (for pc and ps3) and 1 out to tv.

The problem is I cant get the sound from pc to home theatre(HT) working.

my Onboard is asus with amd 8 series gpu.
my gfx is 4870 with 2 dvi port only. So my gfx display goes to Pc and TV. (TV use DVI > HDMI converter which cause the AMD system to warn me that i have to use another audio input in case i wanna hear sound from it)

I tried to used onboard HDMI to my HT so that it can produce sound from PC but failed.

Here's the question : Where did i go wrong with my setting.

A simple summary of my connection would be :
GFX > PC
GFX > TV (dvi to hdmi)
Onboard HDMI to HT (For sound when playing movie from my pc)

Thank you in advance.

xinan

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
so do you mean i need to force enable the onboard hdmi first? I've done that with gfx vga and onboard vga but never on hdmi on bios. But never saw the option for force enable hdmi on bios.

my gfx is 8770 btw
and mobo is M4A88T-M LE

edited : ok the hdmi audio in the bios enabled. and i set the onboard gfx will be enable too just in case

Ok if the sound system is setup correctly you should only need the HDMI from PC to Sound system you would not need to also use DVI to HDMI to TV. The sound system would be able to handle the audio and video with just the single HDMI from the PC and then pass the Video on to the TV with the HDMI out to the TV.

Now for HDMI audio out you need to setup your video player to use HDMI audio other wise by default it will use the default audio witch will be your onboard audio card.

Ok, you have a few options here.

First and formost, you can use the motherboards HDMI output for audio and the GPU's DVI output for video. Check the sounds tab of the windows control panel to make sure the right device is the default audio device if you want to do this.

Alternativly, you can have everything going to the receiver by sending both audio/video from the GPU. Only thing to note with this method, is AMD won't transmit audio unless you use one of their DVI to HDMI converters [they lock all others out].

xinan

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
gamerk : you mean that i have to use their original (or can i buy a compatible 3rd party dvi/hdmi) cable? i'm getting the impression that i'm locked out when i read your reply. I can't choose AMD HD Audio as default device as it is greyed out and cant be selected.

bryonhowley : as suggested, i disconnected dvi to TV and just let my HT/receiver shows me my second monitor (in hope that it can handle the sound too) but not luck. My device manager still shows that AMD HD Audio is not plugged in hence i cant select it as default device.

as for audio btw, i used the onboard HDMI to handle the sound but to no avail.

Thanks for your reply btw. Took me 2 hours to try each of ur suggestion :( my first HT setting and im having problems.

If it helps, my tv is kdl-46ex520 sony bravia
and my HT is quite new LG-BH9520TW.

i'm starting to think that i cant use dual monitor along with HT. Later I'll try to use just the TV as my pc monitor and HT as the audio receiver (but since my gfx consist only DVI slot, i doubt i'll have any sound coming out based on what gamerk said)

gamerk : you mean that i have to use their original (or can i buy a compatible 3rd party dvi/hdmi) cable? i'm getting the impression that i'm locked out when i read your reply. I can't choose AMD HD Audio as default device as it is greyed out and cant be selected.

AMD ships their cards with a DVI to HDMI converter connector. If that is not used, their HDMI audio output is disabled. Tested this myself on my old 4890; had to borrow a friends converter to get audio out of the thing.

xinan

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012
I havent tried ur method yet since i'm too far away from my sec pc (hometown) but ill get to it later. For now, i just purchased optical cable and enjoying the not-so-good-audio-but-will-make-do.

And from what i gathered on the net(besides what u said), it's probably because of my multiple monitor. The card can only accept 2 monitor or 1 monitor and 1 audio (had to choose 1 option only). Of course this is only my speculation (worth 3 days), not in anyway a fact.
I cant ignore both my monitor so i had to choose a different option.

At first i wanted to go analog(5.1 with 3x 3.5m bla bla u know the drill) since that's the best choice but from what i saw on the back of my HT, that doesnt seems possible. Or can it? I'm not familiar with analog and aux. here's the picture of the back for more info.

8atw2.jpg