[SOLVED] Problems with headphone jacks

DevilxDog

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
I have a HP Pavilion p7-1534 desktop. It has the original parts except for a different power supply and an XFX R7 250 GPU.

I am having problems with getting sound from the front headphone jack and the rear jack that my speakers are plugged into. I am getting sound from the speakers on my monitor through HDMI and I get sound through my Logitech headphones that connect to the USB port. From looking around online to see what I can do, it seems like my computer is not detecting anything plugged into the jacks.

I am seeing what my options are. I do not need a new computer because I already have one. This one is used for school projects and kid games (which is why I am looking at what I can do to get sound). I know I could just use the speakers on the monitor, but would like to use headphones with it too. I was wondering if the jacks can be replaced, or if there is a problem with the sound on the computer. Would a sound card fix my problem? I really do not know much about the sound stuff on computers. Any suggestions you be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Fix_that_Glitch
I'm not sure if it recognized it, but when I pugged my Logitech headphones in with the USB adapter I was able to hear sound in the headphones.

hang-the-9
When you say default audio device, do you mean when you click on the volume button and the menu above the sound bar or somewhere else? If you mean there, there is no option to pick something else. The setup has been the same for years and I was able to use the speakers plugged into the back of the case and headphones when I plugged them in in the front without any problems. I do not have a sound card, I was just wondering if that would help with my problem.

I do not use this computer so I do not know when this problem started, but a few months ago I did reinstall...

DevilxDog

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
No. Windows does not recognize any devices plugged in other than the monitor. It does show other devices that were plugged in at some point, but I'm not sure what they were and I can't get rid of them.

DevilxDog

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Fix_that_Glitch
I'm not sure if it recognized it, but when I pugged my Logitech headphones in with the USB adapter I was able to hear sound in the headphones.

hang-the-9
When you say default audio device, do you mean when you click on the volume button and the menu above the sound bar or somewhere else? If you mean there, there is no option to pick something else. The setup has been the same for years and I was able to use the speakers plugged into the back of the case and headphones when I plugged them in in the front without any problems. I do not have a sound card, I was just wondering if that would help with my problem.

I do not use this computer so I do not know when this problem started, but a few months ago I did reinstall Windows 10, if that could of caused a problem.

Fix_that_Glitch

hang-the-9

I do not use this computer so I do not know when this problem started, but a few months ago I did reinstall Windows 10, if that could of caused a problem.

Does Device manager show the sound card (onboard audio is still a sound card), you said you installed Win 10 on it, if you did not install the drivers that would cause this issue.

Solution

DevilxDog

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
Under Sound in the Settings menu, it only lists 1 HDMI in the Output list. Under Bluetooth & Other Devices, under Audio it shows HDMI and the monitor but nothing else. I found a way to update audio drivers, but it tells me that it found drivers but encountered an error while attempting to install them and then it says IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.

Under Sound in the Settings menu, it only lists 1 HDMI in the Output list. Under Bluetooth & Other Devices, under Audio it shows HDMI and the monitor but nothing else. I found a way to update audio drivers, but it tells me that it found drivers but encountered an error while attempting to install them and then it says IDT High Definition Audio CODEC.

Look in Device Manager not the audio settings. Not sure how you are trying to update drivers, but the correct way is either from the computer vendor support page, or look at the device ID for the sound card in Device Manager and find that exact model drivers yourself. Don't go looking at generic driver update utilities.