Problems with HP Pavilion p6310f

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
A bit of an old system, 4 years(ish) later running into problems. The original problem was something to the degree of an error with the "boot sector" of the hard drive.. and I tried the same hard drive in another system with the same results, alas replaced that with a new hard drive. I used a different system to install Windows 7 on the new drive, then moved it over to the HP. The first boot appeared to work but led to an error screen and recommended either startup repair, or a restart. The restart led to the same screen, and startup repair always said it failed after letting it run. Occasional reboots would lead to freezing at the blue HP POST screen. Would it be rather safe to say a mobo replacement would be the next step? I understand a whole new PC would be the better option, but the money just isn't there.

Solution

In almost every case, moving a hard drive from one computer to another won't work. You need to setup Windows in the computer you are going to be using the drive in. Why are you installing it on another system? Is it locking up when you try? Try with different RAM sticks or with one at a time with the existing sticks if you have several in there.

If you have an installation disk, then I would suggest installing directly from it to the Computer. I think there may be an issue with the MBR, and a reinstallation should fix that. Reinstalling from another computer, probably didn't help much.

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
At the very beginning of this problem, that was my first thought. I couldn't get it to boot up to be able to install from the disk, though. The freezes at the blue HP screen are too frequent.

Ok. With the freeze at the HP splash screen after POST, then I would say it was the Hdd, but you replaced it. That should no longer be an issue. With the new drive, it should have been set to boot from the optical drive with the Installation disk. That is the only real good way of getting a clean install. Once it is installed, then you can set to boot from the Hdd.

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Those were the exact same thoughts I had. Except, I installed Windows 7 with a USB drive on a different machine and the new drive currently boots with no issues on the other machine but still freezes at the HP screen after POST. At this point, should I be trying a clean installation with the disk, in the problematic system?

That would be my course of action. One thing just came to mind, if the OS is OEM, it can only be installed on one machine. Once installed it can not be moved to another machine. If you used a different machine, then it has a snapshot of sorts of that machine, so will not work on the machine you are trying to install it in. If it is a Retail Copy, then that isn't a problem. With OEM, you can upgrade pretty much anything, EXCEPT the motherboard and have no issues. The OS is licensed foir the machine it was installed in, and when it "See's" a new motherboard, it is assuming it is another machine. Having said that, this generally applies to activation, but may apply to installation as well.

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
That sounds like a good thought, but it was a retail copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Next time I get a chance, I'll attempt the installation with the disk on the same machine.

In almost every case, moving a hard drive from one computer to another won't work. You need to setup Windows in the computer you are going to be using the drive in. Why are you installing it on another system? Is it locking up when you try? Try with different RAM sticks or with one at a time with the existing sticks if you have several in there.

Solution

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
hang, yes. That's exactly why I was installing it on another system. It wouldn't go through completely with the installation, as it would lock up almost every time I (or the system) would attempt to reboot. I can try taking out RAM sticks and installing.