Problems with HP Photosmart 7350 printer connected via USB

While it isn't clear why, whenever I have added any new hardware item
into my system the HP Photosmart 7350 printer connected by USB will quit
working. In the past, removing & reinstalling the drivers for the USB
ports and then printer would resolve the problems. (Until the next time,
that is.) Now, I can't get Install software for the drivers for that to
see the printer.

When you run the Install program, you're told to NOT have the printer
connected to the USB port. After a few steps, you're prompted to connect
the USB cable. Now it just sits there forever trying to find the
printer. If I attempt to cancel the driver install, it tries removing
the drivers installed so far, and often gives me a blue-screen crash.
I've checked HP's site for an updated driver, but it is the same one I
have here. (v4.241 released in 2003) Also filed a tech support request
there, as the printer can't be used.

BTW, other USB devices are all working normally. (Scanner, PDA, UPS,
etc.) Problem is isolated to the HP Photosmart 7350 printer.

I have an additional HD controller (Maxtor/Promise Technology Ultra 100)
card within the system, as I am often connecting hard drives up to make
backups to CD/DVD. They are usually not present in the system for long,
but putting one in ALWAYS kills the ability to connect to that printer.
The card has been in the system always, though I did recently upgrade
the cable type used on it to the Ultra 133 type. (Hard drive types I'm
working with have gotten bigger.)

Why adding a HD in on the IDE cable should affect the USB ports is
beyond me. But, figuring out how to get the darn printer working again
after it takes its little 'vacation' would be satisfactory. Any ideas?

<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
Irene M. Kraus a.k.a. The Computer Lady!
Web Development/Graphic Design - www.design-comp.com
President/Webmaster for CEBUG - www.cebug.org

Sounds more like an insufficient Power Supply Unit with all those components
running at once.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Computer Lady" <computer.woman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> While it isn't clear why, whenever I have added any new hardware item into
> my system the HP Photosmart 7350 printer connected by USB will quit
> working. In the past, removing & reinstalling the drivers for the USB
> ports and then printer would resolve the problems. (Until the next time,
> that is.) Now, I can't get Install software for the drivers for that to
> see the printer.
>
> When you run the Install program, you're told to NOT have the printer
> connected to the USB port. After a few steps, you're prompted to connect
> the USB cable. Now it just sits there forever trying to find the printer.
> If I attempt to cancel the driver install, it tries removing the drivers
> installed so far, and often gives me a blue-screen crash. I've checked
> HP's site for an updated driver, but it is the same one I have here.
> (v4.241 released in 2003) Also filed a tech support request there, as the
> printer can't be used.
>
> BTW, other USB devices are all working normally. (Scanner, PDA, UPS, etc.)
> Problem is isolated to the HP Photosmart 7350 printer.
>
> I have an additional HD controller (Maxtor/Promise Technology Ultra 100)
> card within the system, as I am often connecting hard drives up to make
> backups to CD/DVD. They are usually not present in the system for long,
> but putting one in ALWAYS kills the ability to connect to that printer.
> The card has been in the system always, though I did recently upgrade the
> cable type used on it to the Ultra 133 type. (Hard drive types I'm working
> with have gotten bigger.)
>
> Why adding a HD in on the IDE cable should affect the USB ports is beyond
> me. But, figuring out how to get the darn printer working again after it
> takes its little 'vacation' would be satisfactory. Any ideas?
>
> <-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
> Irene M. Kraus a.k.a. The Computer Lady!
> Web Development/Graphic Design - www.design-comp.com
> President/Webmaster for CEBUG - www.cebug.org

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:11:40 -0400, Computer Lady
<computer.woman@gmail.com> wrote:

>While it isn't clear why, whenever I have added any new hardware item
>into my system the HP Photosmart 7350 printer connected by USB will quit
>working. In the past, removing & reinstalling the drivers for the USB
>ports and then printer would resolve the problems. (Until the next time,
>that is.) Now, I can't get Install software for the drivers for that to
>see the printer.
>
>When you run the Install program, you're told to NOT have the printer
>connected to the USB port. After a few steps, you're prompted to connect
>the USB cable. Now it just sits there forever trying to find the
>printer. If I attempt to cancel the driver install, it tries removing
>the drivers installed so far, and often gives me a blue-screen crash.
>I've checked HP's site for an updated driver, but it is the same one I
>have here. (v4.241 released in 2003) Also filed a tech support request
>there, as the printer can't be used.
>
>BTW, other USB devices are all working normally. (Scanner, PDA, UPS,
>etc.) Problem is isolated to the HP Photosmart 7350 printer.
>
>I have an additional HD controller (Maxtor/Promise Technology Ultra 100)
>card within the system, as I am often connecting hard drives up to make
>backups to CD/DVD. They are usually not present in the system for long,
>but putting one in ALWAYS kills the ability to connect to that printer.
>The card has been in the system always, though I did recently upgrade
>the cable type used on it to the Ultra 133 type. (Hard drive types I'm
>working with have gotten bigger.)
>
>Why adding a HD in on the IDE cable should affect the USB ports is
>beyond me. But, figuring out how to get the darn printer working again
>after it takes its little 'vacation' would be satisfactory. Any ideas?

>Irene M. Kraus a.k.a. The Computer Lady!
>Web Development/Graphic Design - www.design-comp.com
>President/Webmaster for CEBUG - www.cebug.org

The problem is with your computer, not with the 7350 or any of the HP
software. I too have a 7350, am constantly changing/updating my
hardware, and have never had any of these problems.