Problems with i7 4790k & Biostar B85MG - Freezing upon booting up

Jul 19, 2018
Hello very smart humans.

Me have problem & rocks won't solve it. I just purchased an Intel i7 4790k. To me, I think it's my first robust build thus far. (Noob)

Upon installation, I'm faced with a guaranteed freeze during boot up. I currently use a Biostar B85MG which is a compatible MOBO according to their website. Just in case, I reset the BIOS to defaults, reset the CMOS, and I did a series of boot ups without the GPU and a stick of RAM to see if that did something. Nay. She choked up like a beached baluga.

I did manage to boot the system off a USB drive which after several attempts, allowed me to install Win 10. But again, upon booting up, the system would freeze. Out of frustration, I reverted back to my G3258 and everything is running smoothly again. I checked my BIOS via Biostar's utility and despite it being from 2013, said it was up to date. I've never done a BIOS flash and I'm not sure which BIOS is up to date on Biostar's confusing website but could this be the case? (I hope)

Here's some tech specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group
System Model: B85MG
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/22/13 19:19:34 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8130MB RAM
Page File: 2341MB used, 7708MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Display:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 950
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)

Is there something that I am missing? One thing to note is, the G3258 was overclocked and I did not reset the overclocking via software when I swapped the CPUs but despite that, everything is running perfectly fine with my G3258 but not at the performance I intentionally set out with.

Advice would be incredibly appreciated. I work 80 hours a week and the very little free time I have is spent troubleshooting and it makes me want to dig my cat's cute but deceiving paws into my eyes. Please community, save my CPU and save my eyes.

Solution
the latest bios for this motherboard is B85DRB24.BSS you can see it on their website upload date is 2014-11-24.
check if that's the one you have currently.
you did not mention what kind of power supplier you are using?

malik11

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
the latest bios for this motherboard is B85DRB24.BSS you can see it on their website upload date is 2014-11-24.
check if that's the one you have currently.
you did not mention what kind of power supplier you are using?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS