Problems with IBM T40 + PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B

We have 250+ IBM T40 with the IBM PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B 802.11b card
installed. Laptops run WXPSP2.
Driver is 1.2.3.14 which is the latest we can find.

We are using Cisco 1200 Aps with PEAP-TLS authentication.

When the machines startup they connect perfectly initially....but the ping
times are all over the place to a wired server:

eg: 113,19,72,28,255,23 ms
when running a Toshiba satellite 1800 with its 802.11.b card over the same
setup the pings are uniformly 2ms.

then...after a *random* time (usually about 5 minutes) we lose the wireless
connection on the IBM altogether....and authenticationm starts
again...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.

We have a couple of T40s with the 802.11a/b/g card installed and they seem
to be rosk steady on the WLAN, despite having a later driver. So it seems as
though there is an issue with the
2100 3B + XPSP2 + PEAP-TLS ????
Anyone else expereincing similar problems?

Anyone know of a newer driver or other fixes we can try? We *really* dont
wan to have to buy 250+ new cards to get these T40s to connect with
stbility.
Al Blake, Australia

For anyone else with the same issue - we updated the IOS on the 1200 APs to
the laterst version and the problem when away.
Al