Question Problems With Installing Office 2007 on Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2020
On Microsoft's own support site (https://support.micr...b4-54f7d7275705) it says

'Office 2007 (Version 12) is no longer part of mainstream support and hasn't been tested on Windows 10. However, Office 2007 will install and run on Windows 10' - which is why I purchased it.

I bought genuine Office 2007 as a download (via MediaFire) and was emailed step-by-step instructions on how to install it on my Windows 10 Professional PC, but what's happening is nothing like the screens and dialogue boxes shown in the instructions.

For a start, when the download itself was complete, I was asked by my PC how I wanted to open the big file and was offered various unlikely Microsoft apps for doing this, the least unlikely of which was Internet Explorer, which I selected. A dialogue box then appeared, offering me the choice of opening or saving the file. But the box looked nothing like the box shown in the instructions and instead of being the Opening Microsoft Office 2007 Enterprise.rar box, it was a View and track your downloads box, showing the name of the file and asking the question "Do you want to Open or Save this file?"

Whether I click on Save or whether I click on Open, the only thing that happens is that the same dialogue box is then re-displayed.

I seem to have hit a brick wall and don't know what to do next. All the YouTube videos which explain how to install Office 2007 on Windows 10 seem to show the exact same process that's shown in the instructions which I was emailed. But it just won't work for me.

The seller advertised the software as suitable for Windows XP, 7, 8 and 10 - and he seems to have 100% positive feedback, always assuming he didn't post the feedback himself. There's no shortage of other businesses selling Office 2007 as usable with Windows 10 and they can't all be fraudsters, surely? And since there are various YouTube videos on how to install Office 2007 on Windows 10, it's presumably not a complete impossibility....is it?

Any idea how I could nonetheless achieve a good outcome from this uncomfortable situation?

Many thanks for bringing your minds to bear.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I honestly cannot say if what you are experiencing is the same as what I ran across.

I was utilizing Office 03 and 07 across several office computers. I cannot recall which update, sometime last year or so, but all of the 07 license I had went 'uninstalled' and told me that the keys had been used the maximum number of times. All of the 03 still work, but the compatibility pack I was using with them quit working correctly such that any file sent out of it would not display right to the 10 and up versions.
I ended up having to basically trash half a dozen paid Office 7 license because they wouldn't work and no longer supported. Microsoft was ZERO help with the issue. I ended up moving everything to 10, but figure that it was a stop gap measure. I am sure they are purposefully pushing for people to be on the newer subscription services for it.

Reactions: The Human Vegetable

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I was curious about something and it appears that MediaFire is a file sharing and cloud storage service. I am not seeing where they sell license to anything. Being unfamiliar will just wonder about that aspect, but would add this...
Whenever I download the install for Office it ALWAYS asks me to verify license on MS site before it will even allow me the installer. I have come to find that using that specific installer to try to install to a different license machine is problematic as well. In my own mind one of the bigger issues using anything older than 10 is that you can't readily find it on MS site any more.

Reactions: The Human Vegetable
Jul 5, 2020
Sounds like it makes more sense to install from a disk rather than a download if you want to play safe. But having successfully downloaded the file itself on this occasion, I worry that I still might have the same problem with a disk. It's tempting to try again, this time with Office 2010, but if I encountered the same problem I'd be left with all the same questions. It would really help to know exactly what's happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.