Problems with installing W7 onto new SSD

buskerr

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015
Made a bootable USB drive with LiLi and a W7 Ultimate x64 iso. Plugged it in and booted, spammed delete, went into UEFI>boot options, and here there were 2 options that had the same name as my USB drive, UEFI and USB. selected the USB one as #1 startup option. save and exit, booted up. First got a cd/device driver error of some sort, a quick google search revealed that this was because my usb drive was plugged into a front panel USB 3.0. so i plugged it into the back of my computer in a USB 2.0 and it worked fine. Got all the way through the copying files (there were none, new drive), expanding files etc, then it restarts to complete installation. Once it restarts, however, it restarts the entire installation process. I managed to fix this by unplugging the usb drive during the 10 second restart queue time, but NOW even when its DONE with that and restarts, it comes up with a command prompt-esque screen that says to select a version of windows to run, with 2 options that both say windows. (I assume one is the installation of windows on my HDD, and one the (broken?) installation on my ssd, because I boot to the 2nd one and my pc starts like normal.) but if i boot to the TOP one, or what I assume to be my SSD, it gives me a similar error that it gave when I had my usb drive plugged into USB 3.0. I think it might be because 1: my HDD is still plugged in 2: my ssd is for some reason not listed in my uefi bios as a storage option, and when i first installed it i had to do some weird trick to get it to show up in my list of drives. (something to do with sata cables??). I don't really know what to do from here. I think I'm going to unplug my HDD and plug my ssd into its sata port and try all over again and report back here for probable answers when that's done. Thanks for the read, and sorry about the wall of text. Cheers!

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
I had a very similar problem when trying to install on a Notebook that had UEFI. The problem happens if you do not burn the ISO to the USB properly. The USB needs to be formatted as FAT32 and use the GPT partitioning scheme

Here is how I fixed it:

Install Rufus: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

After you have installed Rufus:

Launch it
Select ISO Image
Point to the Windows 7 ISO file
Check off Create a bootable disk using
Select GPT partitioning for UEFI firmware as the Partition scheme
Choose FAT32 NOT NTFS as the File system
Make sure your USB thumbdrive in the Device list box
Click Start
Close when complete

Try performing the installation again.

***You need to make sure you disable secure boot in the UEFI BIOS***

buskerr

Reputable
Dec 27, 2015

I know I'm way late, but thanks, this was it. I had the HDD plugged in still and since it had windows on it too I guess it just wouldn't boot to the ssd for some reason. ISO was burned onto the USB just fine, I like LiLi much more than rufus. Much simpler imo.