Question Problems with installing Windows 10 on M.2

Mar 31, 2019
I am currently having issues with installing Windows 10 to my new M.2 SSD. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark-1
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 NVMe

When I start the Windows 10 installation from the USB drive, everything seems to work fine. I delete all the M.2 partitions, then choose that drive for installing the OS. When the installation is done, my computer restarts, but instead of continuing the installation, it goes straight back to booting to the USB-stick, and wants to start a new and fresh install.

Here is what I have already tried:

Change the boot priority so the M.2 is first, and USB is second. Results in not wanting to boot or going straight to BIOS.

Remove the USB before continuing the installation process. It then tries to boot to the M.2, which gives the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

After the first installation process is completed, I can go to BIOS and boot right to the M.2, which gives me nothing but rebooting to BIOS.

Any suggestions?

Ori0n

Prominent
Mar 19, 2019
I am currently having issues with installing Windows 10 to my new M.2 SSD. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z270 Mark-1
SSD: Samsung Evo 970 NVMe

When I start the Windows 10 installation from the USB drive, everything seems to work fine. I delete all the M.2 partitions, then choose that drive for installing the OS. When the installation is done, my computer restarts, but instead of continuing the installation, it goes straight back to booting to the USB-stick, and wants to start a new and fresh install.

Here is what I have already tried:

Change the boot priority so the M.2 is first, and USB is second. Results in not wanting to boot or going straight to BIOS.

Remove the USB before continuing the installation process. It then tries to boot to the M.2, which gives the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

After the first installation process is completed, I can go to BIOS and boot right to the M.2, which gives me nothing but rebooting to BIOS.

Any suggestions?
Hello there.

Don't quote me on this but I believe most (if not all) MB's come with an option to tap a function key which enables you to select what device to boot from.

So order your devices like this M.2 first, then the USB.
Hit the function key for the initial install to boot from USB then let it go through the restart. Maybe that'll sort your issue as it will then go to M.2.

You don't need to choose a boot drive. You need only the NVMe drive connected.

There is a guide in this thread - second post:

Ignore that stuff about secure boot and obscure keys and "other OS". It is irrelevant and certainly not required to install windows. If you are installing onto an UEFI mboard, CSM does not matter one way or the other. In fact leaving it on will duplicate the drives recognized by the board but only one will be bootable in any event by an UEFI system.

Here are the steps to take.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Mar 31, 2019
Ignore that stuff about secure boot and obscure keys and "other OS". It is irrelevant and certainly not required to install windows. If you are installing onto an UEFI mboard, CSM does not matter one way or the other. In fact leaving it on will duplicate the drives recognized by the board but only one will be bootable in any event by an UEFI system.

Here are the steps to take.

Create an up to date USB install media by following the steps outlined here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
Then disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings and SATA mode set to AHCI.

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Thanks for the detailed explanation. After following your steps, I end up in the same roadblock as earlier. When the first installation is complete, and the computer restarts, it goes straight back to the USB-sticks' installation, where I have to choose between 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. It will not continue the installation after restarting, just loops back into the first Windows Setup.

Mar 31, 2019
Can you try the drive in another machine to verify that it works, ie, is recognized by windows , gets initialized, etc.? I would take it to a shop if necessary because otherwise, I suggest you return the drive under warranty.
Tried it in a mates' pc, same issue when installing. When I boot my pc regulary from my SSD boot drive, the M.2 appears to be working, can move files in and out from it. I will contact the seller tomorrow.