problems with installing Windows 10

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
i have a FOXCONN pc that an anonymous person sent to me several years ago. it is an M61MPV.it has a processor running at 1.9 GHz,single core, 2.00 GB RAM.
I had updated it to Windows 10 about 5-6 months ago, and during the second Upgrade, it crashed. I formatted the HDD, and reinstalled Windows 7.0 Home Ed.
Two days ago i tried to upgrade it to Windows 10by going directly to microsofts website and it downloaded Windows 10 Upgrade assistant. The download then proceeded okay. But it got stuck at 99% Installation. i read the article recommended by the moderators, i used System Restore,I ;ooked at the desktop and the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant was gone, but When i checked the computer, i found that the directory now included the folder, Windows 10 Upgrade, under Windows.
Then i tried downloading and installing Windows 10 via the
Media Creation Tool.it too downloaded nicely,but after it started,Windows decides to download 212 updates for Windows 7.Caught between a rock and a hard place, I forced the pc to shut down.i let it sit overnight. Today, I looked under Computer and the Windows 10 Upgrade is still listed, and Windows is trying to download 162 updates to Windows 7.0 and getting nowhere.
My question: should i delete the Windows 10 Media Upgrade, as i am wondering if it is interfering with the Windows updates? or should i leave it alone?
i appreciate any advice/recommendations offered.

Solution
Upgrading to Win 10 wants a fully updated Win 7.

Do you have the specific license key for that Win 7?
If so, you can do a clean install of 10, and use the Win 7 license key. No Upgrading needed.

simonchipmunk

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
USAFRet: thanks so much for your quick response. The first time Mr. Anonymous(name given to computer)was upgraded, it was the free upgrade from Microsoft. So i don't have an install disk for Windows 10. my other 4 pcs were upgraded the same way,via mirosoft free upgrade.
Yes, I do have a valid key for the Windows 7 home edition.
So, I should make an ISO image of Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool, burn it to a DVD or copy to USB, and use it to install the Windows 10, after I format the hard drive?
i want to make sure i got your helpful instructions correct.
i apologize for asking

USAFRet

Titan

If it has been previously Upgraded to 10, there is little you need to do.
Assuming it actually works and there is no hardware issues.

Create your install media from the MediaCreation tool. You can create the USB install directly from the tool.
Boot from that, install.