Problems with installing Windows on my laptop.

ScooterHenning

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hey guys I'm having a kind of big problem with my 3 year old laptop.

(not sure if this is the correct thread but think it should be fine :))

So In about a week I have to start in a new school where I'm gonna use my laptop a lot. Therefore I thought I would do a fresh install and maybe upgrade from the windows 8 that was installed.

The first problem i encountered was that when I went into settings and doing the fresh install the laptop would go to 13% complete with the frest install and just turn off. And after that it wouldn't start again by itself and I had to use a recovery windows 8 dvd to try and repair. Off that i tried to do the fresh install with the use of the DVD but the same thing happened.
I tried with a USB recovery version, but failed.

So I knew that I needed windows for som of the programs that we were gonna use on my new school. So I got the idea to install linux/ubuntu and try to do a windows install after that. So i get Ubuntu up and running and i check the box that asks if you want to remove all the files on the hard drive. It works smoothly and I have a perfect version of Ubuntu up and running.

I then try to take a Fresh recovery USB and I try to install windows again. I do the standard windows 10 install and it seems to be working perfectly. After like 10 minutes into the install I hear the fans going all crazy and I try to place it so it can get new and fresh air. after about 30 seconds of the fans going absolutely crazy, you guesses it, the pc turns off and have failed the windows install. Now when I try to turn on the pc nothing works even Ubuntu isn't working anymore.

So now I reinstalled Ubuntu and don't really know what to do. It might have come to the point where I have to buy a new PC.

Hope you guys can help.
Thanks,
ScooterHenning

Solution
If the computer turns off on it's own, the issue is most likely too much heat, or something major like the motherboard, especially with that fans going fast thing that the system is doing.
Open up the laptop, remove the heatsink, clean out any dust, clean off the CPU and heatsink, install heatsink again with new thermal paste.
Once laptop is cleaned out, try installing Windows again. If it fails again, try with one stick of RAM at a time, if you only have one stick, try a different one.

ScooterHenning

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

Thanks I was thinking of this but just wanted to know if you guys thought it was a software problem and that I didn't have to do a full clean on the hardware.

Thanks for the reply
ScooterHenning

Gurdeep Mundi

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Yeah as you already said , your unit is old a little bit ,so it must have got a chunk of dust in it preventing the cooling system to work properly. That's why your laptop keeps cutting off the power after some heavy load. CPUs are designed to cut off the power after they reach at some certain limit of temperature. The contact of your heat sink and the CPU is not good enough. CPU detects that the core temperatures are high and keeps the cooling at full level That's why your cooler fans keep running like crazy but they can't keep the CPU cool coz there's no transfer of heat from CPU to the heat sink.

So now just open up your system, clean the old thermal paste, apply the new one, and that's it.
Always try to keep your system ventilated and cool.
Best of luck.