Problems with kit- please advise (novice)

pierth

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
This is my first attempt at a home build, my only experience is reinstalling OS and upgrading previous systems. I feel like I'm just in way over my head. The parts include:

Masscool 8WA741 CPU FAN w/Heat Pipes 775
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz 3MB 1066FSB
OCZ Freeze Thermal Extreme Conductivity Compound
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775
Corsair 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB)
Corsair 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x2048MB)
Seagate 750GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
BFG GeForce 9800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
Ultra LSP650 650w Power Supply
Ultra Gladiator Blk w/Clear Side Mid-Tower Case
Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ 22in 3D Gaming LCD

Upon following the minimal instructions included and powering up, I noticed all the fans powering on, as well as the blue light on the motherboard, and the fan on the graphics card- but no image on the monitor. If I unplug the DVI cable then the monitor gives me a message that there is no signal, but with the cable plugged in it is just a blank screen.

I had someone with more experience check it out and he completely dissassembled and reassembled it, and stated that he had the same issue, and that either the PCI slots weren't working properly, or the graphics card was broken. I have put in a trouble ticket at the XFX website and they advise testing the CPU, Graphics card, PSU, and Mobo. All I have is this kit and a laptop, but was able to test the PSU already and it seemed fine in a friend's system.

I'm not sure how to test the CPU, Mobo, or the graphics card (I don't have any other systems and none of my friends have a case that will allow the fit of the long cards). Any advice would be helpful.

pierth

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Added:

I printed out the thread for what to do if the system won't post and plan to run through as much of that as I understand this weekend.