[SOLVED] Problems with LG BD-ROM drive

impossiblescissors

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello,

I have been using an LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM internal drive since the end of 2014. It seemed to work fine until about a year ago, when it stopped playing Blu-Ray discs. I opened the unit up and tried cleaning the lenses with rubbing alcohol on a q-tip, but it didn't seem to help.

Recently the drive ran into problems playing DVD's, so I opened it up again and repeated the cleaning process. After some thorough testing the drive appears to play CD's fine, has problems playing some DVD's (plays some, skips on some, and won't recognize or play some at all.) A data DVD like an Ubuntu disc I burned just makes the drive keep spinning with the blue light on the front panel active until the PC shuts down when I try to open the disc in Windows file manager. Blu-ray discs are not recognized in the Windows file manager either.

Was hoping that somebody smart on these drives in the forums would recognize what the failure is, and if it's practical for me to fix. I wouldn't be too upset if I had to just buy another internal BD-ROM, except that there are so few internal BD-ROM drive choices these days! Thanks in advance.