Problems with Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem

izze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
I just did a reinstallation of Windows XP Professional. Now I can only connect the modem using the USB cable, but not the Ethernet cable. According to the instructions, I should just have to restart the computer and I should get a "found new hardware" message and then I would be ready to go. Now when I use the Ethernet cable, the network and the modem don't show up. It worked prior to the XP reinstall. I still need to reconnect the router, but I've got to get the cable modem working correctly first.

I already tried the Linksys online support without any help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have the network settings to "obtain an IP address automatically", "obtain DNS server address atuomatically".
The LAN settings as follows are all unchecked:
Auto detect setting
Use auto configuration script
Use a proxy server for your LAN

My ISP is Comcast.

Thank you in advance,
IZ

G

Did you power cycle the cable modem when changing from USB to Ethernet? Cable modems remember the MAC address of the first device they connect to. Also, when connected through Ethernet you computer wouldn't say "found new hardware".

Grumpy

izze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Yes I've tried that many, many times. I just went into 'run' and typed 'cdm'. then I did an IP config. Unfortunately, nothing came back. No IP address. What can I try next?

IZ

izze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Grumpy,
There is no output with the ethernet cable plugged in. With the USB cable here is the output:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : richard
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys BEFCMU10 EtherFast Cable Mod
em
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-66-F6-36-5A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:54:00 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:54:30 AM

G

You need to install the driver for your Network Card.

Grumpy

izze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Grumpy,

How do I do that?

I just went into the device manager and noticed yellow '?'s next to some devices. One being the ethernet controller. There was no driver for that device. I tried to find it by using the WXP install disc, but to no avail. Is that the driver you were talking about?

G

Where did you computer come from? There should be be a CD with drivers for the motherboard.

Grumpy

izze

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Grumpy,
I was unable to find the drivers on the computer discs I have. I have all of them BTW. I even went to the manufacturers website and downloaded a few drviers from there, but alas still a no go. Then, I remembered I have everything backed up on a secondary drive. That's where I found the drivers. So far, so good. Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully I will be up and running, with the router connected, in no time.