Problems with my HDD

Epiceleon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015
I have an hdd that I have had for about 2 years or so and it has never given me problems, but a few hours ago i log on normally and open up steam which is on this specific drive and the drive freaks out. The drive spikes to 100% usage and stays there it also makes a weird noise that I have never heard before. I can use the other dive that I have on this rig completely fine but when I use this one, whenever I open up an application that is located on it, it freaks out like I have previously mentioned, the problem will only stop after i force close the application through task manager.

If i turn off my computer after this problem occurs where windows starts up and says i have 10 seconds to press any key before the system will scan and repair the drive.

Any solutions?

Solution
It sounds like the drive has potentially failed. I'd suggest letting Windows to to scan and repair it. If the repair works, backup any files that you need off of the drive. Then, you'll need to replace the drive.
It sounds like the drive has potentially failed. I'd suggest letting Windows to to scan and repair it. If the repair works, backup any files that you need off of the drive. Then, you'll need to replace the drive.

Solution

Epiceleon

Reputable
Nov 25, 2015

Are you sure it is this, would a drive just fail out of no where? It wasnt slowing down or anything, its doing this for no reason