Question Problems with my internet periodically stopping to load content.

Jun 18, 2019
Hello!

I've had, and still have, this problem for the last few months where Chrome would stop loading websites completely. Doesn't matter what the website is, it just won't load. Usually I just wait 30-60 seconds and it seems to solve itself, and then the browser works completely fine for a (seemingly random) amount of time until it stops loading again. I switched my browser from Chrome to Firefox and Brave, but both still have the exact same problem. Interestingly, Microsoft's Edge is the only browser I've tried which does not have any of these problems at all. Sadly I'm not a big fan of the browser and would prefer to go back to Chrome/Brave again so that's why I'm posting here. Additionally, Discord seems to have this problem as well, which is why I believe this isn't solely a browser-related issue. When I try calling/joining a voice server, it sometimes takes up to 30-60 seconds until it successfully connects. Until then it just says that I'm "Connecting", if any of you is familiar with Discord.

A few days ago I figured I'd try to format all my drives and install a fresh copy of Windows 10 to see if it had any effect. It worked flawlessly...until I turned my computer off and were forced to update Windows. The issue magically appeared again the day after the update. Might just have been lucky and not have had any "disconnections" during my session after I installed Windows, but realistically, the update does seem to have caused the issue.

The relevant components and drivers:
  • Windows 10
  • MSI Z97 GAMING 7 motherboard
  • Killer Networking Ethernet v2.0.2907 drivers

If you need anything else from me, I'd be more than welcome to give you any information you need.

Thanks in advance!

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Sounds wonky. Have you updated your Killer drivers to the latest versions? In my experience Killer Networking hardware is great, but their gear tends to suffer from a lot of driver compatibility issues.

If that doesn't change it we can go from there, but the simple solutions are the best ones to try first.

Jun 18, 2019
Sounds wonky. Have you updated your Killer drivers to the latest versions? In my experience Killer Networking hardware is great, but their gear tends to suffer from a lot of driver compatibility issues.

If that doesn't change it we can go from there, but the simple solutions are the best ones to try first.

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I've updated my Killer Networking drivers to v2.0.2907, which is the latest ones.

Also, I've noticed that opening Edge while tabs in my other browsers are loading actually loads them in instantly... This issue just seems getting more and more weird.

Jun 18, 2019
Another update.

I installed the newest Killer Control Center and it does detect my Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. I also installed the newest "Driver Only"-package. The device manager found no newer versions of the driver. I also optimized the driver following Killer Network's own guide. No diagnostic programs detect any flaws with anything regarding my network connection, but I still have all the issues earlier described.

The issues are almost MORE prominent now than before, as loading a website might take 10+ minutes on Chrome/Brave, if it ever loads. Opening Edge while the websites are loading helps randomly, but not consistently anymore, as it did before.

At this point I'm honestly considering buying a new motherboard (which means I need new CPU and RAM too) which is going to set me back quite a lot.

You want to install only the driver package and uninstall the killer control center. It is mostly the control center that causes all the problems. I would leave all the settings on default but it is hard to say what option they have.

It is very hit and miss with killer trying to find a stable driver. They fix one thing and break another. The whole theory behind their drivers is silly. You can not affect traffic outside your machine. Inside your machine you should never have a network bottleneck unless you do something really stupid like run bit torrents in the back ground while you play games.

I suspect you will never buy a motherboard with killer chipset again after this mess, I never will. You should be able to just replace the mother board. Make sure the chipset for the CPU is the same and it support the same types of memory. The vast majority of motherboard have intel. Even the vendors that were putting killer chips in have moved away with all the issues........and it is a dumb feature to begin with.

Jun 18, 2019
You want to install only the driver package and uninstall the killer control center. It is mostly the control center that causes all the problems. I would leave all the settings on default but it is hard to say what option they have.

It is very hit and miss with killer trying to find a stable driver. They fix one thing and break another. The whole theory behind their drivers is silly. You can not affect traffic outside your machine. Inside your machine you should never have a network bottleneck unless you do something really stupid like run bit torrents in the back ground while you play games.

I suspect you will never buy a motherboard with killer chipset again after this mess, I never will. You should be able to just replace the mother board. Make sure the chipset for the CPU is the same and it support the same types of memory. The vast majority of motherboard have intel. Even the vendors that were putting killer chips in have moved away with all the issues........and it is a dumb feature to begin with.

Thanks for you answer. I uninstalled the Control Center but the problems are still there. And it's true - I've never had a network bottleneck inside my machine. It's literally only loading websites and usually just for the first time. I.e. whenever I play games, I never lag or disconnect. The problem is often opening the launcher and first connecting to the game.

Killer driver's an absolute mess and you're right when you say I'll never buy another motherboard with their chipset again. The problem with buying another motherboard is that my CPU's a LGA1150 and they rarely produce motherboard who support that socket anymore, at least not in Norway. Also, my RAM is DDR3 and the motherboards here normally only support DDR4.

D

Deleted member 14196

All you need are a PCI slot in your motherboard that is available. I’ll go on Amazon and look them up and post back here a suggestion

Jun 18, 2019
This is not the cheapest but it isn’t very expensive and I have found the Intel NIC work better than many other brands in fact we have to use them at work because they’re the only ones that work in our situation

Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CY0P7G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cg3dDbN41MZD9

I highly recommend the Intel however you can go cheaper if you want
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I found a free PCI-E slot on my motherboard and ordered an Intel NIC-card (the one you recommended). It’ll probably arrive over the weekend so I’ll be sure to update you whenever I get it installed. Thanks again!

Jun 18, 2019
So - I got the NIC adapter, installed it, and tried to download whatever driver it needs but Intel driver's a mess to go through. Anyway I got the NIC card to Word, but the problems still occur. The weird behaviour where opening Edge instantly loads the other browserss seem to have disappeared. I'm absolutely blank here - I have no idea how this odd behaviour is happening despite having a fresh install of Windows 10 and a factory new NIC-card. Any suggestions?