Question Problems with my PSU

necri

Reputable
Sep 28, 2019
Hey guys. I have been having issues with my PSU and I need to have it replaced. When I try playing games that have higher system requirements my screen sometimes goes black and there is a weird buzzing sound. Read a little on the forum and the most likely problem is a faulty PSU. My system is the following:
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 4460
Motherboard: ASUS H97-Plus
Ram: 4 GB HyperX Fury 4DDR x2
SSD/HDD: 2 SSD , 640GB and 1TB
GPU: Radeon R9 390 Nitro 8
PSU: ThermalTake SmartSE 730W

What PSU do you recommend I get?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Translation tools work well enough. Unfortunately, the previous PSU was very poorly matched with the GPU; it's a very cheaply made group-regulated PSU. Thermaltake only sells a handful of PSUs that are of quality enough to use with a power-hungry PSU and the Smart PSUs tend to be among their worst, generally ancient budget Sirfa units with a label and sometimes some RGB slapped on.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you already know, the prices in local stores aren't going to be great and the offerings you have available on the budget side contain a lot of pretty bad Zalman and Xilence units. This is likely the cheapest PSU I'd buy for this GPU in the two stores you list.

https://www.hgspot.hr/napajanje-seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-550-w-modularno-80plus-gold-ssr-550fx

Not a ton of headroom by any means, so if you plan on overclocking or anything, I'd look at the Corsair TX or RM 650 which will be about 20 more euros.

Congrats on joining the Schengen zone; I hope it's beneficial to your country's economy long-term. Most Americans are sadly unaware what a beautiful country Croatia is.

necri

Reputable
Sep 28, 2019
Translation tools work well enough. Unfortunately, the previous PSU was very poorly matched with the GPU; it's a very cheaply made group-regulated PSU. Thermaltake only sells a handful of PSUs that are of quality enough to use with a power-hungry PSU and the Smart PSUs tend to be among their worst, generally ancient budget Sirfa units with a label and sometimes some RGB slapped on.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you already know, the prices in local stores aren't going to be great and the offerings you have available on the budget side contain a lot of pretty bad Zalman and Xilence units. This is likely the cheapest PSU I'd buy for this GPU in the two stores you list.

https://www.hgspot.hr/napajanje-seasonic-focus-plus-550-gold-550-w-modularno-80plus-gold-ssr-550fx

Not a ton of headroom by any means, so if you plan on overclocking or anything, I'd look at the Corsair TX or RM 650 which will be about 20 more euros.

Congrats on joining the Schengen zone; I hope it's beneficial to your country's economy long-term. Most Americans are sadly unaware what a beautiful country Croatia is.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will probably get the Corsair TX. And thanks for the congrats and the compliment. Croatia is a great country unless you have to live here. 😄