Problems with my Radeon HD 4870X2

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Hi!

I just got my new Radeon HD 4870X2 a few days ago, and I'm experiencing a problem with it.

When I started Catalyst Control Center for the first time, I noticed in the "Information Center - Graphics hardware" section, that while the "Primary adapter" is enabled, further down it says "Disabled adapter", and then Radeon HD 4870X2, 1mb memory. Does that mean the 2nd core is actually disabled for some reason? And how come it doesn't work in that case? What could be wrong?
So far I haven't tried so many games so not sure if it's actually disabled or not, but it sounds like it.

My setup is: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 / 2gb DDR2-667 / ASUS P5B motherboard / Powercolor Radeon HD4870X2 / Samsung 30" 305Tplus / Corsair 1000W PSU

prograham

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
This is a wide spread problem and is affecting me too. One of the cores is not being used. I have yet to find information how to fix this. CD drivers and 8.9 have same results.

prograham

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
This is a wide spread problem that affects me as well. One of the cores is disabled. CCC lists a primary adapter and then a disabled adapter. I have yet to find a fix for this. The CD drivers and 8.9 had the same results.

EDIT: sorry for double post.

lacto

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
The Radeon 4870 X2 video card has a special version of internal CrossFireX technology. Essentially, the second core in the video card activates by itself as needed (i.e. during high-end gaming or video graphics design, etc.) and there are no user adjustments that can be done to activate or deactivate it. Furthermore, since each core on the video card has its own dedicated 1 GB of RAM, the CCC will only show the memory assigned to the one active core – thus you will see only 1 GB of RAM as available video memory whenever you are in desktop environment or doing anything that does not require the utilization of the 2nd core. Once the video card is under load that would require the 2nd core to activate – each core would then have its own 1 GB of memory to work with.

If your card has 4 monitor outputs, CCC would report the setup as “two” separate cards where you will see each cards’ individual memory and would have the ability to disable or enable CrossFireX.

If you have any questions, please reply back to this email or contact us at 408-749-3060 for North

America CPU Support, 44-1276-803299 for EU CPU/GPU Support or 1-877-284-1566 for North

America GPU support.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care