Question Problems with my system after upgrading psu + gpu

Mar 8, 2023
Hello,

I've just upgraded my system with an RTX 4080 Tuf and 1000W Be Quiet Platinum and I have a weird experience so far.

Im playing some games (Sons of the Forest, Atomic Heart, Hogwarts Legacy) and after loading into the game I get on average 40-60 fps on 1440p and 4K at ultra settings. Changing from Ultra to super low settings changes nothing. After closing the game and reopening it I get 100+ fps without changing a single thing again on either 1440p or 4K at ultra settings.

I was able to replicate this in Superposition.

This is the first benchmark:
View: https://imgur.com/a/qJ2kVNq

This is the second:
View: https://imgur.com/a/m4n97bP

I didn't change any single thing I just reponed the benchmark and run it again. Same thing happens while gaming.

My setup is:

Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Carbon WIFI
CPU: Intel Core i5-11600K
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power 11 1000W

Please if anyone can help me I will appreciate it as Im currently very frustrated and this is bugging me for two days straight.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention my CPU utilization. On the first benchmark I get exactly 100% load on every other core. It goes like this:

core0: 100%
core1: 0%
core2: 100%
core3: 0%
core4: 100%
core5: 0%
core6: 100%
etc..

On the second benchmark the one with the high score I get 10-30% core utilization on one core and the rest sit at around 1-7% on average.

Hey there,

I'd start with making sure you have a fresh install of the GPU driver. Use DDU to uninstall the driver (in safe mode). Once done do a fresh install of the GPU driver (in the custom install option).

Have you updated the bios? What version is it?

The Straight power seems decent enough, but I guess could have issue with the RTX4xxx series transient power spikes. But this doesn't seem like that at all. You would be having random restarts if it were the case.

Are all system drivers, chipset etc up to date? Windows?

How old is the PSU?

Reactions: dinodudegr
Mar 8, 2023
Hey there,

I'd start with making sure you have a fresh install of the GPU driver. Use DDU to uninstall the driver (in safe mode). Once done do a fresh install of the GPU driver (in the custom install option).

Have you updated the bios? What version is it?

The Straight power seems decent enough, but I guess could have issue with the RTX4xxx series transient power spikes. But this doesn't seem like that at all. You would be having random restarts if it were the case.

Are all system drivers, chipset etc up to date? Windows?

How old is the PSU?

Thank you so much for replying!

I update bios today and it is the latest version for my motherboard (7C73v1C is the latest and I updated because I was having this issue from 7C73v19 ). The PSU is brand new got it two days ago with my GPU. All system drivers and chipset drivers are up to date and also Windows has the latest update.

Thank you so much for replying!

I update bios today and it is the latest version for my motherboard (7C73v1C is the latest and I updated because I was having this issue from 7C73v19 ). The PSU is brand new got it two days ago with my GPU. All system drivers and chipset drivers are up to date and also Windows has the latest update.

No worries, you're welcome :)

When you did the bios update, did you clear CMOS afterward? If not, you will need to do that, so we can rule that out. If it's not cleared, it can leave remnants of microcode lying, which causes some instability.