Question Problems with new AMD 3600x

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
I just built a new box with a clean Windows 10 pro install.
AMD 3600x, PC-3600 memory, ROG X570 mobo.
While encoding videos the CPU just pauses for 5 to 10 seconds then continues in without problems. Temps are good at 82-85C for the core.
When I say pause, all of the CPU cores drop down to little to now load. The mouse continues to respond during the 'pause'.

This causes me problems as my streaming server disconnects from my TV, downloads are interrupted as well.

I have the latest drivers and bios updates, and running Windows 1809.
I can't think of anything other than design flaw or a hardware interrupt possibly from a hard drive. I'm pulling unnecessary drives out today and testing that theory out now.

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
Thanks.
I make it a habit to start Task Manager each time I boot and I keep it open in the upper corner 100% of the time. Nothing shows up there other than Handbrake, and my video server that I have been using for the past 8 years or so. It is a version of PS3Media that I rewrote and modified to clean up the spaghetti code, code complexity, and a time-out issue whenever a video was paused. lol

Basically, the machine shows that the Idle Time goes to 99% and that nothing is running.
Using CPUID HWMonitor I can see core wattage drops. I also have ASUS ROG utility running that shows similar results.

As for 1809 being buggy, I've never seen anyone say that. Even ComputerWorld refers people to upgrade to 1809 versus 1903 as 1903 is still unproven. They are doing this if you aren't aware that Microsoft automatically forcing users on 1803 to upgrade to 1903 and to avoid that they recommend 1809.

If you can provide any information on issues with 1809 I'd be more than willing to review it though.

Let me say this, that I've been running 1809 for some time on my older FX-8370 which this setup replaced.

It's been a while since I've posted my system so I left out some details, Also, I was away from the computer on my cellphone when I entered this.

It is 16GB, PC-3600. While the memory is not overclocked the MOBO is considered overclock even though that simply is picking the proper speed from the drop-down listbox. No other changes to timings or voltages,etc.

I won't be overclocking anything.

My video card is an old HD-6670 as my GTX 970 was killed by my old MOBO.;(

Actually, I'm not new to Toms but I had to change my E-Mail as no one at Tom's could figure out why I couldn't reset my password. So, I'm back after two years of not posting.