Question Problems with new build, is it the motherboard or the CPU ?

Jul 27, 2021
Good evening all,

Forgive a rusty, now getting old guy, who is way out of practice but still wanted to build his own system.

My specs are as follows:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64GB (4x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Memory
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AM4 ATX Motherboard
Noctua NH-U12S Redux Multi Socket CPU Cooler
Samsung 870 EVO 1TB 2.5in SSD
ATI 6800 XT
Cooler Master MWE Gold V2 850W

After assembling the system (when everything eventually showed up) all booted fine, each bit of hardware was recognised in the BIOS. I go to install windows, from USB. After “loading files” the aorus motherboard logo shows up… and doesn’t disappear.
I decide something is wrong and try again. Again, removing the video card. Same. I decide the bios must need flashing. All I did was unplug the new system and plug my old one back in, leaving it for the night.

The next day I download the bios update, plug the new system in and nothing happens now. The ram lights up for less than a tenth of the second then goes out. This is just as its connected to power and not touching the power button. I remove everything (including all fans, front panel connectors, and switches) apart from the CPU and motherboard power. Same result.
I try another PSU I have laying around. (also a 850W) the second it makes contact I lose all power (this is with only the motherboard connected to power.) Both light and power circuits. To me that says an Earth fault of some description on the motherboard.

After I destroyed everything destructible in my house, I put the new system in the spare room. Not wanting to look at it clearly.

I also loosened off the CPU cooler a touch (I've heard that can cause issues) and the old PSU, though I don't have a system to test it on, plugs into the GPO fine and doesn't trip anything on its own.

Is my assessment accurate? Does anyone have any other ideas? The system cost me almost 5 grand, after all the delays its rather disappointing.

Also, don’t worry, I didn’t destroy everything at home.

"The next day I download the bios update, plug the new system in and nothing happens now. The ram lights up for less than a tenth of the second then goes out. This is just as its connected to power and not touching the power button. "

What happens when you press the power button?

"I try another PSU I have laying around. (also a 850W) the second it makes contact I lose all power "

What do you mean "the second it makes contact"?

Are you running the proper BIOS (F10 or later)?

Jul 27, 2021
Thank you both for the replies.

Yes, the standoffs were installed.

I solved a few problems, only to be hit with more. Nothing happened when I hit the power button. But I came across a solution, removing the CMOS battery and clearing the CMOS I was able to boot and install windows after updating the BIOS to F13.

My test PSU is faulty and now in the bin. (I haven’t used it for over a year.) By the second it makes contact I meant as soon as the two conductive metals contacted each other or turning the GPO on. When the PSU went live, electrically speaking. Anyway, that PSU is in the bin now.

After installing windows, when setup does its final restart… nothing. Fans spinning lights on. Nothing. I notice the DRAM and VGA lights are on, on the motherboard.

Long story short, reseat the GPU and RAM. The VGA light disappears but the DRAM light stays lit. Unless I hold the power button in for 5 seconds, then it switches to the CPU light, but the system wont hard power off. Releasing the power button, it switches back to the DRAM light.

I tried a single stick of ram in different slots, same result each time.

I’m thinking it’s a faulty motherboard.

As a side note. If the board has power (aka electricity) but the system is off, should my ram be lighting up? Because it seems to sometimes, then others only after I hit the power button.

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS