Problems with new Computer FX 8350

martinco

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hello,
I bought computer components to build my first system.

AMD FX 8350
ASRock 970 Extreme 4
BeQuiet Straight Power E9 450W
8GB Corsiar Venegeance lp DDR 1600 DIMM CL9
1TB seagate Barracuda
Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Gigabyte Radeaon Hd7870OC

I installed Windows 7 64bit professional. Now I have the following problems. The system. It runs very inconsistent a lot of crashs etc... I looked for solutions online and found tried memtest. With both Rams in the Mainboard I got immediatly like 3 errors. Using only one ram, one bar produced a lot of errors like 10 in 5min, the other one only one single error in 3 tests of about 3 hours.

I installed prime 95 and used the blend test with 8 processes 6/8 fatal error, hardware failure detected outputs after about 6mins.

The small FFT produced only 1-2 fatal errors after 10 mins but still it claims hardware failure.

I did no overclocking myself, I used all components just as they were deliverd and put them together. CPU temperature seemed to be okay, between 40 and 56C. I read and the manual of the motherboard that 1600 ram is considered overclocked for the mainboard. I also read that one should try and change the voltages, but I have to admit that I have what I should change.

My first assumption was a defect ram. What do you think? As everything is new I have still full warrenty. What should I do/try?

Thanks a lot!

exban224

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

Sounds like the RAM stick with alot of errors has a nasty defect. I reccomend you RMA the RAM, then see how it is. Those temps on the cpu seem a little hot (my phenom x6 rarely tops 40)but just a little, nothing to worry about.

martinco

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Ok thanks, I was just worried it might be the cpu or mainboard, as I found it quite unlikely that both rams are defect... read something that it might be the ram controller of the cpu, but anyway I will rma the ram and hope for the best!

Thanks!

3ogdy

Distinguished

Possible issues:
RAM
Motherboard

I suggest getting a Kingston DDR3 module and running memtest with only 1 module.
If you get any errors, put the DIMM in the second memory slot and repeat the test.
If you still get errors - you may need a new motherboard.
If you only get errors when the module is in one of the slots, there might be a problem with that specific memory slot , in which case, you also need a new motherboard.

If you don't get any errors - the RAM is faulty so you'd need to get new RAM.