Problems with P4P800E-Deluxe - Need Help!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

Hey everyone, i posted last week, i received some great responces, but i'm
still having the same trouble. I thought i'd post a fresh topic, and fill
in some info.

First off, this is my system,

AsusP4P800-E Deluxe (latest bios... 1002 i believe)
Samsung 512 DDR400 Ram
Intel P4 2.8e Presscott Processor (running @ 2.8, not using the over
clocking features)
Creative Sound blaster Live Platinum (In PCI Slot #5)
Intel Dual 1GB Nic (In PCI Slot #3)
ATI All in Wonder Radeon 7200 (AGP 4x)
One IDE Hard drive, Western Digital 200GB
One ROM device, Pioneer A06 DVD-R+R Writer

The problem i have is that after i get past the screen where it normally
finds the hard drives / cd roms, i get to a black screen, with a blinking
cursor in the upper left corner, and it sits there for about 15 seconds....
then kicks in to windows xp. (pro).

To resolve this, i've tried the following,

-Moved Sound card from PCI Slot #2 to slot #5
-Toggled ON/Off Plug and Play OS option in the bios
-Disabled on board LAN/NIC/FireWire and any SATA options.

Now, i've noticed in the past few days a new problem, which i'm sure is
related. I believe the problem is around my hard drive and hard drive
detection. Sometimes when i go into the bios, and i have it set to AUTO for
hard drive detection, it does not find the western digital. I've also run
into it where after the black screen with the blinking cursor, it'll come
back and say "no IDE drive found". to resolve, i normally just reboot,
nothing else, and it'll find it second time around. I'm sure if i can fix
this problem, that the slow boot time will go away too.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've read so many great reviews about this
board, i'm starting to worry i got a dud. although, i'm sure i'd have way
more problems than i do now if it was a bad board.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, help.

-S

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

Forgot to mention, I've also disabled the Promiss Raid component in the
Bios.
-S

"SRM" <dont@have.one> wrote in message
> Hey everyone, i posted last week, i received some great responces, but i'm
> still having the same trouble. I thought i'd post a fresh topic, and fill
> in some info.
>
> First off, this is my system,
>
> AsusP4P800-E Deluxe (latest bios... 1002 i believe)
> Samsung 512 DDR400 Ram
> Intel P4 2.8e Presscott Processor (running @ 2.8, not using the over
> clocking features)
> Creative Sound blaster Live Platinum (In PCI Slot #5)
> Intel Dual 1GB Nic (In PCI Slot #3)
> ATI All in Wonder Radeon 7200 (AGP 4x)
> One IDE Hard drive, Western Digital 200GB
> One ROM device, Pioneer A06 DVD-R+R Writer
>
> The problem i have is that after i get past the screen where it normally
> finds the hard drives / cd roms, i get to a black screen, with a blinking
> cursor in the upper left corner, and it sits there for about 15
seconds....
> then kicks in to windows xp. (pro).
>
> To resolve this, i've tried the following,
>
> -Moved Sound card from PCI Slot #2 to slot #5
> -Toggled ON/Off Plug and Play OS option in the bios
> -Disabled on board LAN/NIC/FireWire and any SATA options.
>
> Now, i've noticed in the past few days a new problem, which i'm sure is
> related. I believe the problem is around my hard drive and hard drive
> detection. Sometimes when i go into the bios, and i have it set to AUTO
for
> hard drive detection, it does not find the western digital. I've also
run
> into it where after the black screen with the blinking cursor, it'll come
> back and say "no IDE drive found". to resolve, i normally just reboot,
> nothing else, and it'll find it second time around. I'm sure if i can
fix
> this problem, that the slow boot time will go away too.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? I've read so many great reviews about this
> board, i'm starting to worry i got a dud. although, i'm sure i'd have way
> more problems than i do now if it was a bad board.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions, help.
>
> -S

I have found that WD drives can be problematic over detection. Have you set
its jumper as slave/master? If so, try cable select. Or vice versa.
--
Doug Ramage

[Watch Spam Trap]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,asus.support.english.mainboard (More info?)

I've got it set to Master, I will give Cable Select a try tonight and
report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

-S

> I have found that WD drives can be problematic over detection. Have you
> set
> its jumper as slave/master? If so, try cable select. Or vice versa.
> --
> Doug Ramage

Try a newer vid card.

I had a AIW 7500 and had to send back for warranty (fan). I plugged in an
older ati vid card to use the computer and it would boot up exactly as yours
with curser flashing and then boot up normal.