[SOLVED] Problems with PC build, unsure if PSU adequate

generic.user.11

Prominent
Feb 13, 2020
Hey and thanks for anyone taking the time to help me sort my problem out.

So I upgraded my PC's MOBO, CPU and memory some months ago, and I've been unable to get it to boot since then. I've checked that all of the wiring is correctly connected (of course that wasn't the case at the start) and I thought I did sufficient research into my PC parts of choice at the time of ordering them, but my system doesn't boot with everything in the case. The build doesn't even start when I hit the power button unless I get really lucky and that randomly occurs, but even then the PC powers off almost immediately. Once I got it to start without a sound card and with only one stick of RAM slotted, but that never happened again.

The store that I ordered the new parts from checked them and they reported that everything was working perfectly, and updated the MOBO. That leads me to think that the problem has to lie with some part of the rest of my build. I especially suspect that my PSU doesn't have enough power output, even though that shouldn't be the case based on the information that I've found.

This is an approximate list of the contents of the build. The CPU fan is an Intel Ivy Bridge stock cooler.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vNnxRk

So based on that, does the PSU seem like a possible issue? Should I invest in a more powerful one hoping that it solves my problem?

Solution

So I upgraded my PC's MOBO, CPU and memory some months ago, and I've been unable to get it to boot since then. I've checked that all of the wiring is correctly connected (of course that wasn't the case at the start) and I thought I did sufficient research into my PC parts of choice at the time of ordering them, but my system doesn't boot with everything in the case. The build doesn't even start when I hit the power button unless I get really lucky and that randomly occurs, but even then the PC powers off almost immediately. Once I got it to start without a sound card and with only one stick of RAM slotted, but that never happened again.

The store that I...

The store that I ordered the new parts from checked them and they reported that everything was working perfectly, and updated the MOBO. That leads me to think that the problem has to lie with some part of the rest of my build. I especially suspect that my PSU doesn't have enough power output, even though that shouldn't be the case based on the information that I've found.

This is an approximate list of the contents of the build. The CPU fan is an Intel Ivy Bridge stock cooler.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vNnxRk

So based on that, does the PSU seem like a possible issue? Should I invest in a more powerful one hoping that it solves my problem?
The only way the PSU is the problem is if it's failing, which is unlikely. It has more than enough juice to power your system without breaking a sweat. Test with onboard graphics as mentioned. You said-
I've checked that all of the wiring is correctly connected (of course that wasn't the case at the start)...
So are you saying you wired something wrong? If that's the case you may have damaged something.

Solution