Problems with PCIE 6/8pins

juampidieguez123

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017
Hi guys, so i bought a GTX 1060 and it has a 8 pin conector, the thing is that my psu(Sentey sty60-ps) has only one 6 pin cable.
What should I do? Buy a new psu? Use an adaptor? Or is there another solution? Like adding a 2 pin cable or something else.

Thanks

Solution

Yes. A stock reference 1060 can use 134w by itself. Since yours has an 8-pin it's likely a factory oc'd model that will use a bit more than that. Well say 140w to be safe. That leaves 18w for the cpu and rest of the components that also use the 12v rail and that is not nearly enough.

Being a lower quality unit bringing it close to it rating is a bad idea and overloading it is an extremely bad idea. If you are lucky it...

juampidieguez123

Reputable
Aug 29, 2017

I am broke right now, is there any risk if i try to use the graphic card with that psu?

Yes there is a risk, and as it is a low quality PSU you also risk to fry your whole system when that PSU give up because of overload. Don't do this, save up for a proper good quality PSU. Without knowing your system specs you should aim for at least 450w and probably 550w would be better.

bignastyid

Titan

Yes. A stock reference 1060 can use 134w by itself. Since yours has an 8-pin it's likely a factory oc'd model that will use a bit more than that. Well say 140w to be safe. That leaves 18w for the cpu and rest of the components that also use the 12v rail and that is not nearly enough.

Being a lower quality unit bringing it close to it rating is a bad idea and overloading it is an extremely bad idea. If you are lucky it will just shut down, but there's a chance it will flatout fail and take other hardware with it when it dies.

Tldr; do not attempt to power a GTX 1060 with it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS