Question Problems with performance after reinstalling windows 10

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
Hello,
Recently I've gotten a new gpu and after the upgrade i reinstalled windows and i have been getting worse performance than before the reinstall since i didn't bother to reinstall just after the upgrade (was excited to use my new toy).
It has gotten to the point that even games such as valorant which used to run 190-210fps+, now i get 120-130 sometimes fps drops and stutters. Games such as Elden ring performed better before the reinstall too. Games like warzone 2 are unplayable due to the stutters.
Pc specs:
Asus prime b450m-a
2x8gb t force t-force vulcan z red 3200mhz
r5 2600x stock cooler (I am planning on upgrading soon to a 5600x)
gigabyte rx5700xt
be quiet! 600W
1tb samsung 860evo sata
1tb hdd
I've tried messing around my gpu settings such as lowering the frequency by 100mhz (was a fix for a lot of people that i've read about online) also i've tried running my pc on performance mode on bios which overclocks the cpu to 4ghz. Played around with ram frequency in bios, tried so many tutorials on how to increase performance, updated drivers, played with the windows performance modes, power settings.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/57209808 Ran a benchmark as well (yes i did try with the new windows update and got the same score)

Hey there,

Looking at UBM your CPU is not performing well. It can boost to 4.2 so, your score is low-ish.

What power plan are your running? You should have Ryzen balanced profile selected to ensure your CPU boosts as it should.

Also, what bios are you running? You should be running 3802. This could be part of the issue.

So do a search on windows for power + sleep, and then additional power options. You should see some powerplans there. Typically, there might be 'Balanced' or 'High Performance' plans. You want to ensure there's one there for Ryzen balanced. You choose this one. If it's not there, then you need to download the most recent chipset drivers from ASUS website here: PRIME B450M-A II|Motherboards|ASUS Global

Yes, your bios, is way out of date, and is possbibly causing all kinds of bugs. Just be sure to follow the instructions on how to do so from your mobo manual.

Last edited:
So after the power plan change, bios update and cmos clear valorant feels a bit better but Warzone 2 and Elden ring feel very similiar to what it was before (55-65fps, with stutters).
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/57235253
And after the bios update, settings like resizable bar became available, not sure if they are worth using though.

Yes, rebar is worth using. For some games it gives a nice little uplift. Others not so much. Defo worth switching on though.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
I've turned it on and tried most of my games out, it has helped with my fps but now the stutters are my main problem. I can't really think of anything else i could try to reduce or just get rid of them entirely. Maybe you have some ideas?

Have you simply changed power plan, by the given options? I would suggest doing it this way:

First open up powershell, and then type the following codes to enable default profiles for each item.

Ultimate Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61
High Performance: powercfg -duplicatescheme 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c
Balanced: powercfg -duplicatescheme 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e
Power saver: powercfg -duplicatescheme a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a

Simply copy and paste and press enter after each one. Then go and change to high/ultimate, and see if there is further improvement

See which is better, Ryzen or Ultimate/High.

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
I've tried all of the power plans you listed, basically had no effect on any games that I tried (valorant, csgo, ER, Cod warzone 2).
I have also tried completely reinstalling drivers with ddu and doing a minimal install of them, also didnt do anything.
At this point I am tempted to reinstall windows again, It might just be some corrupted system files that are screwing with me.

Edit: Ran SFC /scannow to verify my windows files and It says that there were some corrupted files that have been fixed. Seems to have helped a little bit but still far from perfect, getting around 100-135fps (with some stuttering) on val now.

Last edited:

ButifulDog

Reputable
Feb 8, 2020
Alright after a crap load of trouble shooting I just decided to try and reinstall windows with a usb stick. Wiped all my storage drives, pc is empty, only thing i installed was the necessery programs for my headphones and mouse and the gpu, ryzen balanced drivers. The games are running better fps wise but now in games like valorant it stutters like crazy sometimes, mostly in the menu for some reason. Even games like league of legends stutters now. I am convinced now that maybe it is not a software issue and might be something to do with my pc components.