Problems with POST

txatc

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Hello all,

I am just getting back into pc building. I have purchased components a little different from what I was originally thinking.

Parts:
CPU- FX 6350
MoBO- MSI 970A-46g
PSU- Corsair cx600m
Cooler- 212 evo
Case- Cooler Master HAF XB
OpDr- lg somethin somethin
Hdd- seagate barracuda 3tb
RAM- DDR3 1600 PNY 16GB
GPU- Gigabyte Radeon R9 270x

My problem is when I do not have the GPU plugged in I can fire it up and get the expected 1 long 2 short beeps. Video problem. I plug in the GPU and fire it up, silence. The fans are all running, the mobo shows Phase 4 power by way of the little leds. The only things I can think of is either the PCIe slots are bad (I tried both) or my GPU is toast. I have read about adjusting the BIOS for the newer graphics card but my mobo has no onboard sothat Isn't an option. I am flummoxed. Do I just replace the gpu or also grab another mobo while I am there just in case? I bought it all from microcenter (-RAM) which is a 45 minute trip one way. Any help or thoights are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
What it is in fact saying is there is a lack of power.

That will mean you may of forgot to plug in the four or eight pin extra 12v phase from the Psu to the motherboard.

The block should be located next to the Cpu socket of the board.

Make sure the Pci-e 12v are also plugged into the 270 card from the psu.

If it still fails then you will have to check the 12v rail ratings of the PSU you have and see what the requirement are in volts and amps to run the 270 card.
You may have to invest in a new PSU of a better wattage and amp rating on the 12v rails.

Think the problem is what I say though so check them first.
Your eight pin block is located just behind and in line with the blue vga port looking inside.

Good luck hope it helps.

txatc

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

This is the only pc in the house so that is the only supply. I originally ruled that out as tthe board was showing Phase 4 power which I assume is good power, and the fans spin at a constant speed qith no fluctuations.

What it is in fact saying is there is a lack of power.

That will mean you may of forgot to plug in the four or eight pin extra 12v phase from the Psu to the motherboard.

The block should be located next to the Cpu socket of the board.

Make sure the Pci-e 12v are also plugged into the 270 card from the psu.

If it still fails then you will have to check the 12v rail ratings of the PSU you have and see what the requirement are in volts and amps to run the 270 card.
You may have to invest in a new PSU of a better wattage and amp rating on the 12v rails.

Think the problem is what I say though so check them first.
Your eight pin block is located just behind and in line with the blue vga port looking inside.

Good luck hope it helps.

Solution

txatc

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

So you are saying that even without having the 8 pin connected I would still have gotten the error beeps before installing the GPU? But yes all connections were already done and triple checked.