Specs:
i7 4790k
Maximus 7 Hero Mobo
HyperX 16 GB, 1600 Mhz
GTX 1080
AX760
860 Evo 250 GB
Old Toshiba 1 TB HDD

I've started experiencing strange power problems.
Firstly, I need to press power on button several times until pc turns on. After that, I get 00 qcode, then I press CMOS reset button, it restarts and gets me to BIOS.
After quitting BIOS, pc loads to windows, I get to desktop and after few seconds it shuts off to 00 qcode again.
I repeat whole procedure 3 times, after 3rd one I get error that windows did not load properly and I chose restart.
Sometimes, after many tries, it stops getting to 00 qcode and works absolutely perfectly even if I restart it.

BTW, everything works fine in windows safe mode.

Thank You for any information that y'all can provide.
Ask me more questions if You need to know something more.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Solution

elvinasjon

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017
[Motherboard] Common Q-CODE(Error CODE) and Troubleshooting | Official Support | ASUS Global

The "common" ASUS code for 00 is CPU abnormal.

The didn't load properly is pretty standard fare for having it unsuccessfully load OS in succession like that.

You mention working fine in Safe Mode, but would seem the (larger) issue you are having is related to post. I am not seeing how that could matter?
Thank You for Your reply. Yes, the main problem is getting to load windows or even turn on pc (sometimes power button is unresponsive at all).
It is kinda strange that I can always get to safe mode though.
You are mentioning that it could be CPU problems, but that would be strange, because I have not removed it for many years and cooling is very good, never goes up more than 55C.

Ralston18

Titan
Condition being wattage (760) but also new, refurbished, used, etc. In this case 4 - 5 years being very used/old.

Overall heavy use for gaming, video editing, bit mining?

All in all my thought is that the PSU is nearing (or even past) its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

PSU's are a critical component that provides 3 different voltages to various computer components, Any voltage out of spec will create problems. Or any inability of the PSU to provide needed power for that matter will cause problems.

If possible swap in another known working PSU. (Remember to not mix and match cables with original PSU.)

Another thing you can do is (if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it) is some limited testing on the PSU.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages near or out of tolerance would make the PSU suspect.

If you do not have a multi-meter try to find a family member or friend who does.

elvinasjon

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017
Condition being wattage (760) but also new, refurbished, used, etc. In this case 4 - 5 years being very used/old.

Overall heavy use for gaming, video editing, bit mining?

All in all my thought is that the PSU is nearing (or even past) its' designed in EOL (End of Life).

PSU's are a critical component that provides 3 different voltages to various computer components, Any voltage out of spec will create problems. Or any inability of the PSU to provide needed power for that matter will cause problems.

If possible swap in another known working PSU. (Remember to not mix and match cables with original PSU.)

Another thing you can do is (if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it) is some limited testing on the PSU.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages near or out of tolerance would make the PSU suspect.

If you do not have a multi-meter try to find a family member or friend who does.
Well, this PSU is top of the line and has 7 years manufacturers warranty and I bought it new. Never was used for mining or video editing.
Kinda strange that sometimes everything works perfectly fine, pc can run without being turned off for days.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that even if I put pc to sleep it still shuts off.
And another one is that I can be on password screen (before entering desktop) as much as I want, but after I enter desktop and be there for a few seconds it goes to 00 qcode.

Ralston18

Titan
But the PSU was used for heavy gaming - correct?

Contact Corsair support. Report the problems and request an RMA.

Unfortunately having a 7 year warranty does not mean that the PSU will really last for 7 years.

It just means that the manufacturer thinks so and has somehow come up a quantitative number that make the marketing folks really happy.

Take a close look at the warranty terms. Determine if you can indeed press the warranty issue.

elvinasjon

Reputable
Oct 17, 2017
But the PSU was used for heavy gaming - correct?

Contact Corsair support. Report the problems and request an RMA.

Unfortunately having a 7 year warranty does not mean that the PSU will really last for 7 years.

It just means that the manufacturer thinks so and has somehow come up a quantitative number that make the marketing folks really happy.

Take a close look at the warranty terms. Determine if you can indeed press the warranty issue.
Update.

The problem was CPU. It seems to have died. I have changed it the i5 I had and it works perfectly! Tried putting i7 back several times and it did not work.

Thank You for Your help.