Problems with r9 280x?

cropheus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
Hi,
I'd like to hear your experiences with r9 280x cards..
The thing is, they are selling very cheap (mostly sapphire dual x versions) - (around 200$ - used with warranty). That's so cheap it's actually suspicious... Do they work fine with new/older games? are there any problems with drivers etc, i've heard about artefacts and stuff happening randomly. I would pair it with i7 4770

Solution
I picked up the Gigabyte R9 280X Rev3 from Newegg for about $240. The first card caused lots of artifacts and crashed my computer... after waiting for nearly a week from Gigabyte... only to hear them tell me to change the cable... I RMA it back to Newegg and received a replacement card. So far it hasn't given me any problems.

The price drop isn't really surprising.. I remember when these cards for came out over a year ago.. they were selling at about today's prices... but people were buying them for "mining" purposes and there was a shortage which caused the prices to rise up an additional $100. The prices stayed high for nearly a year and are just now dropping back down..

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
I picked up the Gigabyte R9 280X Rev3 from Newegg for about $240. The first card caused lots of artifacts and crashed my computer... after waiting for nearly a week from Gigabyte... only to hear them tell me to change the cable... I RMA it back to Newegg and received a replacement card. So far it hasn't given me any problems.

The price drop isn't really surprising.. I remember when these cards for came out over a year ago.. they were selling at about today's prices... but people were buying them for "mining" purposes and there was a shortage which caused the prices to rise up an additional $100. The prices stayed high for nearly a year and are just now dropping back down..

Solution