Problems with Radeon 6770M/Intel HD 3000 switchable graphics

Cougar7

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2014
Hey, so I have a 5-year-old laptop that has lag issues with some games that I don't think it should (at least not as bad as it is), and I suspect the drivers are the issue.

My suspicion is that the computer does not recognize/use the dedicated Radeon card in games. In at least 2 games, when I go to the graphics settings, it lists the Intel HD 3000 card as the display adapter. Although in the past I have used AMD's catalyst to configure those games to be run with the dedicated graphics, I suspect it really is using the Intel. Now when I try to open up the control catalyst, nothing happens. Currently the display driver listed in Device Manager is "AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series" alongside the Intel, and that appears to be the computer's only recognition of the existence of such a card.

I suspect the drivers are the main issue.

My computer is a HP dv7t 6100 with Windows 10 Pro (from what I've read that complicates things). The processor is a 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M Processor and the graphics card is 1GB Radeon(TM) HD 6770M GDDR5 Graphics [HDMI,VGA].

So, how do I get the computer to recognize and use the nicer video card? I've spent hours looking stuff up and have seen several suggestions (such as leshcatlabs and other 3rd party fixes, just using Windows Update, using AMD's beta driver, disabling the integrated card in the BIOS, etc), but I'm not sure which will work best (or work at all) and I don't want to make my laptop any worse.

I imagine this is stuff you guys have dealt with before. What do you suggest? Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

Solution
vendor web page the last bios is the one on the top. go to the vendor web page download the chipset driver first if they say for windows 10. if not go to amd or intel debending on the chipset and download the drivers plus use amd auto detect to see and load the drivers for the laptop.
on older laptops the intel chips ios used to save battery power look at the battery power settings in the bios. make sure the bios is up to date. some laptop wont run with amd drivers if they use there own firmware. in the bios see if there ipgpu and pc/peg setting set the display to peg see if amd gpu come on. under device manager disable intel gpu.

Cougar7

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2014

How do I check to see if the BIOS is up to date? I don't see anything in device manager.

I disabled the Intel graphics and the computer kind of acted like there was no more graphics card: things scaled bigger, couldn't change the resolution, far fewer options available when right-clicking (I could "open" AMD Catalyst Control, but nothing happened when I clicked it). So that seems to confirm my suspicion that the computer doesn't acknowledge the AMD's existence, or at least doesn't use it.

I can check the BIOS when I restart the computer.

vendor web page the last bios is the one on the top. go to the vendor web page download the chipset driver first if they say for windows 10. if not go to amd or intel debending on the chipset and download the drivers plus use amd auto detect to see and load the drivers for the laptop.

Solution

Qualtrox

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
First thing's first do you have both drivers for intel hd 3000 and amd radeon hd 6770m installed (with my experience so far i know that the laptop will not use your second gpu if you dont have the intel hd driver installed (i think it's called intel hd graphics accelerator), nvidia drivers wont even let you install them without doing so

If you have both check if you have an option to select a gpu to use when right clicking on games.

If not im looking at reinstalling the driver