[SOLVED] Problems with random freezes and crashes on homebuilt Windows 10 machine

Nov 10, 2021
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I have very limited knowledge of computers and components.

For over a year I have had problems with random freezes and crashes on my home-built Windows 10 machine. I built the PC in 2014 with help from my dad. The freezes and crashes typically happen when I am playing video games (I play mostly League of Legends), but the problems have also occurred in other circumstances. For example, right when I start my computer and have no major program running, when I watch YouTube or Twitch or even when I have a single chrome tab open. Therefore, I have had difficulties in identifying a pattern of when it freezes and crashes.

Right before it freezes I can hear the audio repeat a number of times before it turns quiet and the screen becomes frozen. Sometimes it "just" freezes and I have to manually turn off the PC. Sometimes it freezes, then after a couple of seconds the screen turns black and the PC automatically restarts. Sometimes it freezes and I am unable to manually turn it off for about +5-10 minutes before I successfully can turn the PC off.

Because this problem is frustrating, I have numerous of times stopped using my PC for a couple of weeks, sometimes months, before coming back to it in hopes that the problem has resolved itself. When I come back to my PC, I have been able to use it without the slightest problem for a couple of days, before it starts freezing and crashing again.

I'd be very happy for any tips on tools to use that can help identify the problem.

I have tried:

Running memcheck and a few other tools, but have got no error message or indication of hardware problems. I have also googled a lot and tried out a number of different ways to try to identify and fix the problem, but with no success. I have done a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but the problem remains. I have also run Ubuntu from an USB-stick and it never froze or crashed, but I guess I did not push the machine whilst I was running Ubuntu.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3,5 GHz Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC)
Ram: 2 x G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600MHz 4GB (8GB in total)
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 256GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 2GB
PSU: CX Series Modular CX600M 600W ATX Power Supply
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 750D

Solution
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I have very limited knowledge of computers and components.

For over a year I have had problems with random freezes and crashes on my home-built Windows 10 machine. I built the PC in 2014 with help from my dad. The freezes and crashes typically happen when I am playing video games (I play mostly League of Legends), but the problems have also occurred in other circumstances. For example, right when I start my computer and have no major program running, when I watch YouTube or Twitch or even when I have a single chrome tab open. Therefore, I have had difficulties in identifying a pattern of when it freezes and crashes.

Right before it freezes I can hear the audio repeat a number of times before it turns...

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
Hi,

Right before it freezes I can hear the audio repeat a number of times before it turns quiet and the screen becomes frozen. Sometimes it "just" freezes and I have to manually turn off the PC. Sometimes it freezes, then after a couple of seconds the screen turns black and the PC automatically restarts. Sometimes it freezes and I am unable to manually turn it off for about +5-10 minutes before I successfully can turn the PC off.

Because this problem is frustrating, I have numerous of times stopped using my PC for a couple of weeks, sometimes months, before coming back to it in hopes that the problem has resolved itself. When I come back to my PC, I have been able to use it without the slightest problem for a couple of days, before it starts freezing and crashing again.

I'd be very happy for any tips on tools to use that can help identify the problem.

I have tried:

Running memcheck and a few other tools, but have got no error message or indication of hardware problems. I have also googled a lot and tried out a number of different ways to try to identify and fix the problem, but with no success. I have done a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but the problem remains. I have also run Ubuntu from an USB-stick and it never froze or crashed, but I guess I did not push the machine whilst I was running Ubuntu.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3,5 GHz Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi AC)
Ram: 2 x G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 1600MHz 4GB (8GB in total)
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 256GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC HDMI DP 2xDVI 2GB
PSU: CX Series Modular CX600M 600W ATX Power Supply
Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 750D
Have you checked if your rams are running at 1600mhz?
Have you installed them in dual channel configuration?
Check the TEMPS too, I think around 75-85 is fine in HOT PLACES but if its above this threshold then you should give your CPU some open air and this might be the issue.
Check your SSD or HDD for bad sectors.

Solution