[SOLVED] Problems with reaching 4.5GHz on Ryzen 7 2700x with MSI x470 Gaming Pro Carbon

diamondpumpkin1

Commendable
Jul 25, 2018
I've been trying to get my Ryzen 7 2700x up to 4.5GHz, I'm having all sorts of trouble with it. As suggested by MSI themselves for overclock, should increase the voltage 0.0125 until stable (I did this from 1.45v to ~1.6v until I couldn't even get into BIOS -_-). The problem I'm having is the MSI board I have has so many vague options for protecting hardware I have no idea if my CPU is just refusing to clock that high, or if the board is not willing to because of one of the options. Here are the settings for BIOS, I'm able to get to 4.4GHz at about 1.4v, but I would like to push it a little higher. Any suggestions?

Solution
Unless HW Monitor is lying my 2700 is hitting 4.5 GHz on multiple cores at stock settings. Obviously can't get that on an all core OC but if it's right I'm impressed. I've went as high as 4.33 in overclocking which put me right under 2k in cinebench R15.

EAe_f5VWwAEP1vO
Unless you have a golden chip or try for sub-zero cooling, it's highly unlikely that you can stabilize the 2700x at that frequency, as most of the samples simply hit a wall soon after about 4300MHz. If you can stabilize 4400MHz on all cores then you are already in the upper echelon of that processors highest capabilities. If you still want more performance, try fine-tuning your RAM or GPU, or even your storage.

Your not going to get speeds above 4.2-4.3ghz without LN2.
Ryzen chips hit a frequency wall where your going to stop getting any more speed even with more voltage.
1.4v is the max i would use for any extended time period.
If you can get 4.4 stable and cool at 1.4v, i would use that setting. That is likely as far as that cpu will go.

If you absolutely want to hit the max CPU frequency, you'll also want to loosen your memory timings and probably lower your memory frequency quite a bit.

Ryzen looses a little bit of core clock when you use high frequency RAM, I can attest to this personally. But Ryzen performs really well with high frequency RAM, so I'd rather have a high memory clock and tight timings and loose a bit of core clock.

Jul 26, 2019
Unless HW Monitor is lying my 2700 is hitting 4.5 GHz on multiple cores at stock settings. Obviously can't get that on an all core OC but if it's right I'm impressed. I've went as high as 4.33 in overclocking which put me right under 2k in cinebench R15.

EAe_f5VWwAEP1vO

Solution

TRENDING THREADS