Question Problems with RX 5700 XT 50th Anniversary GPU ?

mdl350

Honorable
Dec 27, 2016
Hello everyone I am hoping some one can help me ok I had an old gaming pc my kids use I was looking to upgrade it on a budget I found this GPU the rx5700xt had not bad performance for 1080p gaming and had found a used one locally at a good price I brought this but new I needed to change the motherboard and CPU as was currently bottle necked anyway so
I finally brought a motherboard buddle so I have msi b550tomahwk mother board 16gb Corsair ram and CPU is Ryzen 5 5600x
As this should be a good combination with the GPU so I installed it all in my pc fired it all up and all was good
Went to Google to find and download the driver for the GPU but before I got that far the fan seemed to go really fast on the card and the screen went black and lost the picture I had to shut off the pc I left it 30 mins and rebooted but with in 30secomds it did the same thing does anybody no what this issue maybe I have refitted my old gtx970 and all works fine not sure if it's Todo with the power supply not giving enough power to the card or heat issue or fault with the card
Buy the way the PSU is a Corsair cx750m I am using could anyone please help with this issue thanks Mark.

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you test GPU in another PC?

does it restart if you boot into safe mode?

I wonder what drivers windows uses for AMD cards. It might have tried to install some, given it looks for drivers for any hardware installed.

You wouldn't think it was heat issues in such a short amount of time. Its too fast. What case are you using? How many case fans?

Were both power cables attached securely?

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-5700-xt-50th-anniversary.c3438

So its a 1st party AMD card?
shame no firmware updates - https://www.amd.com/en/support/grap...eon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-50th

Go to Control Panel>Power Options>Change Plan Settings>Change advanced power settings>PCI Express>Link State Power Management, and if it's set to Moderate Power Savings, set it to Off.
link

mdl350

Honorable
Dec 27, 2016
Unfortunately I have no other pc to try it in.
How do you start the pc into safe mode I have never done this before I am running Windows 10 64bit

That's a good point I do wonder what windows may have done regarding drivers would I be able to download the correct drivers in safe mode if it works in safe made that is?

Unsure on the case make and model but has three front case fans and one rear.

Power cables were secure but this is the other thing I was unsure about so this card uses an 8pin and 6pin power connector
I had a lead that goes from PSU to the GPU that has a 6pin +2pin plug I put this into the 8pin plug then it has like a daisy chain off this with 6 pin connectors which I put in the 6pin plug but I am unsure if this is providing enough power to the card do I need to separate cables from the PSU to the card for the two plugs? Thanks for any advise.

mdl350

Honorable
Dec 27, 2016
Ok quick update I worked out how to boot into safe mode and then ran the pc just idle on desktop for 15mins then it did the same thing as before you can here the fan speed of the card go up and down a bit then just goes flat out and picture goes at the same time as this left it 5mins and rebooted and did it with in a min of starting up so I am wondering if there is a heat issue with the card it is a first party card but obviously it's second hand card so not sure if I have been had over here or if it's worth taking the heatsink off and looking at the thermal pads or paste and redoing them or not what's your thoughts on this thanks Mark.

Colif

Win 11 Master
but obviously it's second hand card so not sure if I have been had over here or if it's worth taking the heatsink off and looking at the thermal pads or paste and redoing them or not what's your thoughts on this thanks Mark.
it might be worth the time to look at the pads or repaste it.

since the problem happens in safe mode there is a good chance the card is to blame

drivers don't work in safe mode so that removed them from blame. You also can't install them there.

mdl350

Honorable
Dec 27, 2016
Ok I am currently in dispute with the seller of the card as I was reassured it was in full working order but they had no way to show me it working so took there word on it I was waiting for my new motherboard CPU and ram to arrive so have not tried to use it till now so because a little time has passed they are not willing to take it back or give a refund even though I have had it sat in the box they gave it to me in
In a drawer in my computer room and only when the new parts arrived then I installed it and came across the issue. I no it's no issue with the new parts I brought as I put my old GPU in and works fine no issues but now stuck with I card I believe they sold me as faulty wish I had tried it sooner?

You don't think it would be an issue with the power lead from the PSU to the GPU like I mentioned above I have only one cable coming from the PSU to GPU that splits off to do the 8 pin and 6pin power on the GPU I am unsure if that will give enough power to the card or do I need two separate cables from the PSU to the GPU? Thanks Mark

mdl350

Honorable
Dec 27, 2016
Just done a bit more research and it is recommended that two PCI power cable go to the card to power it so I have done this and run the pc up just in the bios chacking the card temp or what I believe is the card temp it says pci temp so don't no it that's the card temp or not left it idle and timed it 18mins dead picture goes off and fan goes really load like flat out the pci temp shows 33degrees when it did it so still no ideal and switched it off and the card does not feel hot to touch so I am now at a lose what to do 😕