Question Problems with Ryzen 3950x build, please help!

Dec 1, 2019
Having difficulties getting my 3950x build to post. I got it to post and boot for one day and I had windows installed, but when I came back to it that night there was a blinking underscore on the screen and wouldn’t boot at all after that. I swapped out the mother board and still no luck. I’ve breadboarded the build with one memory stick. When I power it on l, the DRAM error led goes on for about 5 seconds and then switches to VGA led and stays on that. I swapped out the GPU and that led is still on. I also tried to reseat the cpu but that didn’t work either.

CPU - Ryzen 3950x
GPU - EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra
PSU - Corsair RM750
MOBO - x570 Aorus Ultra
RAM - Corsair 4 x 16gb Vengeance LPX

Dec 1, 2019
The blinking underscore implies an issue with your storage devices and is often displayed when the BIOS can't locate a bootable device.

Check your storage device settings and connections.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve disconnected all storage devices since that happened. I have it breadboarded, but still can’t get it to post.

AzJazz

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
At the moment, I have CPU, CPU fan, one stick of memory, GPU.

I have the HDMI in the graphics card input.

Baker - Be sure to check your owner's manual regarding the DIMM slot priority sequence. DIMM RAM modules are supposed to be inserted in a specific order, and the ordering isn't necessarily obvious. For example, on my new MSI motherboard, the first recommended DIMM slot is A2, then A2 + B2, then A1 + A2 + B1 + B2.

Be sure that your DIMM is firmly seated in the slot - check that it is level by looking at the slot connector and see if the DIMM circuit traces are level with the slot.

Also ... Is your BIOS set up to use the default (lowest) RAM clock timings? I would try that before enabling any of the XMP faster clock timings.

Have you made sure that your RAM is compatible with your motherboard by checking the manufacturer's website?

Dec 1, 2019
Baker - Be sure to check your owner's manual regarding the DIMM slot priority sequence. DIMM RAM modules are supposed to be inserted in a specific order, and the ordering isn't necessarily obvious. For example, on my new MSI motherboard, the first recommended DIMM slot is A2, then A2 + B2, then A1 + A2 + B1 + B2.

Be sure that your DIMM is firmly seated in the slot - check that it is level by looking at the slot connector and see if the DIMM circuit traces are level with the slot.

Also ... Is your BIOS set up to use the default (lowest) RAM clock timings? I would try that before enabling any of the XMP faster clock timings.

Have you made sure that your RAM is compatible with your motherboard by checking the manufacturer's website?
Thanks for the reply.
I have one in the recommended slot, which is A2. Everything I’ve seen confirms that it’s compatible with my board. I don’t think XMP is enabled because I haven’t been able to get into BIOS to change any settings. I’ll double check the manual tho

Being that it did boot one day and then never again, does that point to a short somewhere, a PSU issue, or maybe cpu is doa?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for the reply.
I have one in the recommended slot, which is A2. Everything I’ve seen confirms that it’s compatible with my board. I don’t think XMP is enabled because I haven’t been able to get into BIOS to change any settings. I’ll double check the manual tho

Being that it did boot one day and then never again, does that point to a short somewhere, a PSU issue, or maybe cpu is doa?
I suspect the same. A short or defective CPU.

Seems like the only common parts as you have been troubleshooting is the CPU and PSU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Check with friends/co-workers/family to see if they have an AM4 based system. Or, take to a local PC shop (not Best Buy!). Buying an extra CPU should not be necessary. If you do buy one, get the cheapest thing you can find. Intent is to isolate if the CPU is the culprit behind your woes.

Dec 2, 2019
I'm guessing you jumped the CMOS? if not start there also as others have said, check your memory is seated properly, you'll be surprised how firm you have to push down...I'm sure you already know this but push down on the memory until the little retaining clips on each end of the slot snap into place, if not then it's not seated properly and you could have got lucky the first time around and made a brief connection same with graphics card. also try another HDMI or display port cable, rearranged my setup last night and the monitor wouldn't come on and it was the display post cable that was at fault. Did you set the XMP memory setting in the bios, that thing has screwed me so many times and it wont boot, uncheck this if you did.
If you can post to bios ( i'm guessing you can't) check the boot order of your storage devices. If you installed windows using a thumb drive then remove it and try again without it, I've had a problem there once before.

Again this is obvious but check the cpu fan header and that you have it plugged into the right header on the mobo, I messed this one up last week when I installed my new Ryzen 3900x, I put the fan cable into the water block pump header on the mobo by mistake, is your cpu fan even spinning or water pump working?. Another obvious one, did you try the cmos reset? if so was it via a button on the mobo or did you have to jump the pins on the mobo and forgot to move them back or missed and went too far and only one pin is now jumped.
Also, as someone else said, is your memory in the correct slot? you would think that the slot closest to the cpu would be the correct one but on my board it's the second one in (slot 2) and slot 4 to use 2 sticks for dual channel.

That's about all I can think of right now.

Reactions: Thefilmbaker
Dec 1, 2019
Nope. That is usually an indicator that Windows is having issues detecting the default boot device.
I ask because I swapped out the CPU and finally everything is working great! But I’m getting blinking underscores before booting to Windows. I think my boot sequence is correct but I suppose I should double check.