[SOLVED] Problems with Speed and Availability

pb_343

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
Hi, I am noticing very low speeds on both my 2.4 and 5ghz wireless. My equipment is an ASUS AC3100 wireless router, Arris Surboard SB6190 modem, and one Ubiquiti AP in the master bedroom due to not originally getting a good signal there, and a gigabit connection from my ISP. The house is a 2700 sq ft single level. When I perform speed tests, the 2.4ghz is only getting anywhere from 20-80 Mbps, the 5ghz anywhere from 5-80 Mbps, and the Access Point usually in the 200+. The 5ghz also takes a long time to be recognized when looking at the wireless networks (i.e. when I look at which networks are available on my Iphone it doesn't show up right away). I usually have between 4-8 devices connected but not all being used at once (few smart tvs, few cell phones, few apple TVs, etc.). I'm wondering why the speed and connections are so bad for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz compared with the Access Point and wanting to know if I just need to completely replace the wireless router or not? I have Smart Connect disabled on each line as well.

Solution
Hi, I am noticing very low speeds on both my 2.4 and 5ghz wireless. My equipment is an ASUS AC3100 wireless router, Arris Surboard SB6190 modem, and one Ubiquiti AP in the master bedroom due to not originally getting a good signal there, and a gigabit connection from my ISP. The house is a 2700 sq ft single level. When I perform speed tests, the 2.4ghz is only getting anywhere from 20-80 Mbps, the 5ghz anywhere from 5-80 Mbps, and the Access Point usually in the 200+. The 5ghz also takes a long time to be recognized when looking at the wireless networks (i.e. when I look at which networks are available on my Iphone it doesn't show up right away). I usually have between 4-8 devices connected but not all being used at once (few smart...

EridanusSV

Notable
Aug 16, 2020
Try disabling QoS and set all device priority to Normal.

• You should have these options.
  • Are there any special instructions from your ISP? I know my router needs to access my modem's 192.168.100.1 first to establish a connection with them then I get the full speed afterwards.

pb_343

Reputable
Sep 30, 2016
Try disabling QoS and set all device priority to Normal.

• You should have these options.
  • Are there any special instructions from your ISP? I know my router needs to access my modem's 192.168.100.1 first to establish a connection with them then I get the full speed afterwards.
It looks like QoS is already disabled and don't see any device priority set up anywhere. I also haven't been able to find any special instructions from the ISP that says anything regarding accessing the modem.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I am noticing very low speeds on both my 2.4 and 5ghz wireless. My equipment is an ASUS AC3100 wireless router, Arris Surboard SB6190 modem, and one Ubiquiti AP in the master bedroom due to not originally getting a good signal there, and a gigabit connection from my ISP. The house is a 2700 sq ft single level. When I perform speed tests, the 2.4ghz is only getting anywhere from 20-80 Mbps, the 5ghz anywhere from 5-80 Mbps, and the Access Point usually in the 200+. The 5ghz also takes a long time to be recognized when looking at the wireless networks (i.e. when I look at which networks are available on my Iphone it doesn't show up right away). I usually have between 4-8 devices connected but not all being used at once (few smart tvs, few cell phones, few apple TVs, etc.). I'm wondering why the speed and connections are so bad for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz compared with the Access Point and wanting to know if I just need to completely replace the wireless router or not? I have Smart Connect disabled on each line as well.
Since you have one Ubiquiti AP, I would recommend turning OFF the WIFI on the router and adding a second AP. Then you have one dashboard to mznage your WIFI.

Solution