Problems with stability on i5 2500k

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I am quite new to overclocking and I am having a lot of problems with OC my i5.

Specs Gigabyte Z68 - UD3
i5 2500k
Askaa venom cooling.
750W PSU

Before I tried to overclock my machine I read up extensively on it to make sure that I done nothing wrong. I am still having absolutely no luck with getting it correct. The problems are that their are so many guides online and each keep telling me different things.

I was trying to achieve a 4.4GHz OC with voltages at 1.37/ auto. More or less everything else was set to auto except for
Thermal cooling disabled C1/D or something cant remember name set to disabled.

I finally thought I had got my overclock to work today with the above settings.

I was running prime95 and had to go out so I left my computer with the stress test running. I was never going above 62c so I thought nothing would happen. I left the house and when I came back a few hours later I could not turn the computer on! It kept powering up then just dying after 2 seconds. I then replaced the mobo battery, problem solved.

I really need some help OC. I am now afraid to even go near the BIOS because I got a real scare when my PC did not power on I thought I had fried CPU.

Can someone try and explain what I am doing wrong please

Thanks

I can't really answer why it wouldn't turn back on after it crashed because I've had that happen (crashing/BSOD'ing) more times than I can count while trying to get a stable OC and I've never not been able to turn the system back on afterwards.

I WILL say though, that you shouldn't need 1.37V to get to 4.4GHz. Every chip is different, so everyone's experience will be different, but I have my current 4.4GHz OC at a stable 1.272V load voltage. I've been working on it a lot today and that's what I came to finally.

I had originally been OC'ing with the main multi, but I just decided to go for a Turbo OC for now, and the only thing I have disabled currently is LLC (with my board, it's Enabled/Disabled/Auto, and when it's set to Enabled or Auto, it sets the Vcore too high (1.37V, like yours, actually), so that's why I have it disabled). I also have the offset set to +.025. I would love to just set a manual Vcore, but my board won't let you.

Anyway, you should definitely be able to get to 4.4GHz at around 1.3V, unless you have an unlucky chip.

Also, the temps you were seeing are fine, as I think you know from reading your post. My temps in Prime are a little higher actually, from 62-66C depending on which core you're looking at (73F ambient), and that's with a Hyper 212 Evo.

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the reply. That might of been what I was doing wrong, I had my LLC set at level 6 on a Gigabyte board.

One of the problems is, when I disable my LLC and manually set my Vcore to around 1.30V as soon as I save and exit BIOS my computer makes several attempts to turn on and then eventually says that the system occured problems while overclocking.

What settings would I need to change in the Advanced CPU settings in order for me to manually change my voltage settings and allow me to exit BIOS without the overclock failing?

Thanks.

@shadden, You should be able to run 4.4ghz in the 1.295v range, you are using way too much voltage for 4.4ghz, 1.37v is closer to 4.6ghz range, it's actually too much for 4.5ghz, most 2500K owners can reach 4.5ghz at 1.325v.

shadden

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
I am still finding it very difficult to Overclock.

I have been trying for a few days now with no results

My main problem is my LLC, this seems to be as default set to around 1.35. I go to manually set it to 1.30 and I then save and exit and it crashes.