[SOLVED] Problems with starting PC

Mar 18, 2021
Hello!
When I'm trying to start PC, coolers start spinning for 1 second, then they stop for 2-3 second, and start spinning again and PC turns ON. After this it throws me to "American Megatrends" screen and shows next message:
Please enter setup to recover BIOS setting.
After setting up Intil(R) Opane Memory or the RAID configuration was built.
SATA Mode Selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.
Press F1 to Run SETUP
After pressing F1 I get into BIOS. I change nothing and run PC and it works. But it knocks the clock and date settings. If I will reboot PC (without unplug power) there will be no errors. Also I noticed that CPU_LED has red light (when coolers start spinning for 1 second and then stop).

What did I try:
  • Set DEFAULT BIOS settings;
  • Replace CMOS battery;
  • Set "Launch CSM" to enabled;
  • Remove M2 SSD - and it starts on the first try (but cannot boot, because no OS on SATA SSD).
My PC build:
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z270-A

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600 Kaby Lake

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2400MHz

Storage: Corsair Force MP500 NVMe SSD M.2 240GB + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250 GB

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming ACX 3.0 6.0 GB

Power Supply: EVGA ATX 600 Watt

SMART Status for M2 SSD:

Does it mean that my SSD is dying?

Solution
Tried, same behaviour.

This PSU

Yeah, those are not awesome at all. Cheap though....

I feel like my first out of the box try would be to remove the GPU and see if she starts correctly. IF it does I think I would look to a new PSU (probably would anyway). IF not, would likely pursue a new (or loaner) M.2. Even at that, while we are trying things, do you happen to have any SSD that would hold Windows long enough to clean install to and see what/if any changes to the positive occur?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Hmm, I think I would breadboard it down to the most basic setup you can and see which item specifically is causing the boot loop/restart. It sounds like the M.2, since it started correctly without it.
Have you booted to safe mode to see if it starts correctly that way?

It could be a hardware issue, could be a driver.

If that is the PSU I am thinking of (the EVGA 600W "white"), they are not a very good PSU. I have utilized them in super budget builds and find that if I don't take them beyond ~50-60% of their rated power they seem to do fine. The moment I went towards real power draw they would cause strange issue. I have two "working" ones in my part closet now that had to be removed from builds after moving from (along the lines of) R3 builds that upgraded to R7 (etc.) and a better GPU.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Tried, same behaviour.

This PSU

Yeah, those are not awesome at all. Cheap though....

I feel like my first out of the box try would be to remove the GPU and see if she starts correctly. IF it does I think I would look to a new PSU (probably would anyway). IF not, would likely pursue a new (or loaner) M.2. Even at that, while we are trying things, do you happen to have any SSD that would hold Windows long enough to clean install to and see what/if any changes to the positive occur?

Solution