Problems with text messaging to UK

I have been a customer with Verizon for 5 months now. One of the main
reasons I got the phone was to use text messaging to the UK to my sister and
brother-in-law. They are both Vodafone customers (a Verizon partner company
with which Verizon has text messaging capability).

The text messaging worked for the first few weeks, and then stopped working.
That is, I can receive text messages from the UK, but cannot send them. The
messages appear to be going through, but they are never received at the
other end. (Btw, domestic texting works perfectly.) I have gone through
various steps: checking the numbers, trying to enter the numbers in various
formats, responding to received texts instead of starting fresh ones, having
VZW do software checks and upgrades on my phone, and now finally having them
replace my phone. None of this has worked. The VZW CSRs, as well as the
in-store techs, stated that they have never encountered this problem. They
say that I am doing everything fine, that their system is showing the
messages as going through successfully uptil the Vodafone gateway, and now
insist that the problem is with Vodafone. This seems patently absurd to me
because my family is able to receive and send text messages to everyone, and
in fact did successfully receive them from me for at least a few weeks.
(And since this involves two different Vodafone numbers, it seems unlikely
to me that it is some kind of glitch at that end with *just* their two
phones.) In any case, VZW has washed their hands off the problem, saying it
is not their responsibility.

What I really want is for the texting to work. So, I am wondering if there
is someone in this group who has encountered similar problems? Is there
something really simple I am overlooking? Is there anything I can do, short
of waiting for my contact to end and then moving to a GSM network (not an
attractive option for me due to coverage issues)? Do I have any options?

Many thanks.

Sahar S.

Sahar Shafqat wrote:
> phones.) In any case, VZW has washed their hands off the problem, saying it
> is not their responsibility.

And Vodaphone owns a large portion of VZW so they really have no excuse.

> What I really want is for the texting to work.

Many of the phones can send text to an email address (the LG phones
certainly can). Find out your friends email addresses for their
phones. For example for your phone it is 1234567890@vtext.com
where the digits are your phone number. You can also register at
vtext.com to get a name.

The bonus with sending email instead of international SMS is
that it is a LOT cheaper. The drawback is that email doesn't
have confirmed delivery which SMS does.

Verizon doesn't quite get the confirmed delivery thing. For example
it will quite happily claim that it is has successfully sent a
message to my landline which isn't remotely SMS enabled.

Roger

"Roger Binns" <rogerb@rogerbinns.com> wrote in

> Sahar Shafqat wrote:
>> What I really want is for the texting to work.
>
> Many of the phones can send text to an email address (the LG phones
> certainly can). Find out your friends email addresses for their
> phones. For example for your phone it is 1234567890@vtext.com
> where the digits are your phone number. You can also register at
> vtext.com to get a name.

the problem with email is that the receiver has to check it to read it where
sms is delivered instantly.

> The bonus with sending email instead of international SMS is
> that it is a LOT cheaper.

i'm curious about this. how is international sms billed?

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:19:11 GMT, "james g. keegan jr."
<keegan@nycap.rr.com> wrote:

>the problem with email is that the receiver has to check it to read it where
>sms is delivered instantly.

Not necessarily.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out that it is not possible to send an
email to a Vodafone (UK) customer. They have a new service that is somewhat
different (and costs extra). My family did have their phones checked, and
of course, there is nothing wrong with them. So it seems I am out of luck.
I am now wondering if it is worthwhile to ask to speak to someone higher up
in the hierarchy in VZW than the techs and CSRs?

Btw, international SMS now costs $0.02 to receive, $0.25 to send. I am
assuming sending texts to email messages comes out of one's bucket. If
that's true, it would be cheaper.

Thanks again.

Sahar

"Sahar Shafqat" <sshafqat@gmpexpress.net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the suggestion. It turns out that it is not possible to
send an
> email to a Vodafone (UK) customer. They have a new service that is
somewhat
> different (and costs extra). My family did have their phones
checked, and
> of course, there is nothing wrong with them. So it seems I am out
of luck.
> I am now wondering if it is worthwhile to ask to speak to someone
higher up
> in the hierarchy in VZW than the techs and CSRs?
>
> Btw, international SMS now costs $0.02 to receive, $0.25 to send. I
am
> assuming sending texts to email messages comes out of one's bucket.
If
> that's true, it would be cheaper.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Sahar

Nope, they charge separately for the International text services. I
went and got the 500 text message promo for that reason and then on
May 4, 2004 Verizon started charging for txt to the UK and other
international sites at .02¢ to receive and .25¢ to send which does not
come out of my txt allowance. Another way to rob the customer.

Elector