problems with updating to windows 10 64 bit home edition fall update built 1803 from 1709.

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Hello Toms hardware

I have been trying to update my windows 10 64 bit home edition version built 1709 to the fall update 1803 version .

Without any success . At about 42 % my pc screen goes black and becomes unresponsive forcing a manual restart .

After that Windows restores the previous version of windows installed on my system .Just to inform that my dedicated GPU died out and now i use the integrated intel GPU on my system .

Im using an Alienware m17xr4 notebook that is 6 years old . Ive disabled the dedicated Gpu on my pc notebook due to hardware failure .

I need to ask is this dedicated Gpu hardware failure the cause for windows 10 home edition not updating to the fall update 1803 .Due to it also trying to install latest drivers for the now dead disabled dedicated GPU hardware on it?.

Solution
some anti virus if old can cause windows update to fail. what i would do is use ccleaner and defragler to clean up disk space on the hard drive. i would also remove the windows update folder so that there no damaged files there. in the laptop bios i would see if you can turn off the other gpu..if not use ddu in safe mode and dont reinstall the video driver. if windows does then go into windows device manager and turn off the bad gpu. i would run a malware scan and a virus scan.
I suspect not since there are a legion of computers which have issues installing updates. I suggest that you save your personal data elsewhere and try to install to the latest full version 1803 using the Update Assistant.Or load from scratch . Ironically it is often more successful to install the whole enchalada . These two options are available here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Babar_4

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
I have tried both automatic updates and even by creating an ISO of downloaded windows 10 1803 built updates .Both the methods have failed so far to update the current version i.e.Windows 10 home built 1709 to the fall update built 1803 .Through both these methods pc screen goes black and unresponsive at about 42% of window updates .Forcing a manual shutdown and restart to allow the OS to revert back to the previous version of windows 10 i.e 1709 .Later it tells me that updates failed to install . So im not confident that the Windows 10 update assistant should help either .As at 42% the screen could go black again and pc unresponsiveness as usual . So whats the best option given this scenario ?.

Try the assistant. It is a different app and may work. One thing it does is to say whether your system is compatible. I know the system ran Windows 10 but this stuff changes and your system may no be a difficult install.That analysis may give a little more information.

Next , have you updated the bios to the last available version ?

Is that the NVidia gpu that failed ?There was a lot of trouble with it years ago on your board inter alia..

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-10-nvidia-whql-drivers-are-killing-alienware-and-clevo-lcd-panels.779449/

some anti virus if old can cause windows update to fail. what i would do is use ccleaner and defragler to clean up disk space on the hard drive. i would also remove the windows update folder so that there no damaged files there. in the laptop bios i would see if you can turn off the other gpu..if not use ddu in safe mode and dont reinstall the video driver. if windows does then go into windows device manager and turn off the bad gpu. i would run a malware scan and a virus scan.

Solution