Question Problems with Video Editing Rig

liceisnice

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I am a freelance video editor and I recently built a new video editing rig. Everything about the build went great and without any problems. I installed Windows 10, all of the graphics card drivers, and all the software without any problems.

However, after using the rig for about a week I am noticing some problems while editing. After a project reaches a certain size and level of complexity the system will hang-up for about two seconds every 4-5 seconds. Its like clockwork -- Like the drive is pausing to read what is happening. I never had this issue on my old system (which is over 3 years old) so I have been disappointed. The 'pausing' issue only comes up while working on editing projects. Also, I moved a sample project from my main M2 Edit drive to another SSD and had the exact same problem.

Can you help me troubleshoot what may be wrong with the system?

Here are the specs on my system:

Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ 3.6GHZ
MB: ASUS Z370-A II
Ram: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB, DDR4 3200MHZ
Storage: (Operating System & Adobe Suite): Samsung 970 EVO Plus - 1 TB
Storage: (Video Projects): Samsung 970 EVO Plus - 1 TB
GFX: Geforce 1070

liceisnice

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for your response -- I'm editing projects regularly and I'm still having hang-ups and these are not very large files I'm working with. I'm having hangups with a project file that contains 15 iphone quality videos.

PREVIOUS SYSTEM:
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 PRO
CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (x4 = 64gb)
Primary Hard Drive: Crucial M4 256GB SATA III Solid State Drive
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB

Is there a way for me to run some kind of hardware test to make sure everything is functioning correctly? I feel like these slowdowns are not justified based on the projects I'm working on.

Also, could I be having issues with running extra ssds along with the M2 drives?

Last edited: