[SOLVED] Problems With Wifi Signal

Feb 26, 2020
Hi, I'm new here and as the title suggests, I have an issue with my wifi. Specifically, it has a very difficult time reaching and connecting to my Playstation 4 and connecting to my router's home page via my laptop, an HP Envy 15, as well as other devices, is proving equally difficult. I don't know the exact model of my PS4 but my router is a Bell HomeHub 2000.

Due to the layout of my home, the router could only be installed in one corner while my PS4 could only be plugged in at the exact opposite corner one floor down, and I hypothesized that the signal wasn't reaching due the extreme distance which I proved by bringing my Nintendo Switch closer to the router as it too was having connection trouble. I have considered running an ethernet cable from the router to my PS4 but the layout of my home would require a lot of cable and tricky installation that I cannot afford. I also hypothesized that there was a possible malfunction in the router that wasn't letting the signal reach all the way but getting in contact with my provider, Bell, has been a fruitless effort.

In addition, I do not live alone and as such, the corner of the home where the router was installed is also the location of my home's main television, and those that I live with have refused to help me move the television to let me examine the router and even reboot it. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Solution
You do not have many options. The simplest tends to be powerline networks. It uses your electrical power as a ethernet cable. You plug one unit by the router and the second in your room. They are both connected via ethernet. In your room you will likely need a small switch for mulitple devices. They also make powerline units with wifi radio in the remote end. In any case you want units based on AV2 technology not av200 or av500. TPlink av2-1200 is very highly rated.

Your next option works very similar and is called moca. It requires you have tv coax in both rooms. It tends to be a bit faster than powerline but also cost more money and is a little more tricky to hook up.

Your last option that you use when nothing...
You do not have many options. The simplest tends to be powerline networks. It uses your electrical power as a ethernet cable. You plug one unit by the router and the second in your room. They are both connected via ethernet. In your room you will likely need a small switch for mulitple devices. They also make powerline units with wifi radio in the remote end. In any case you want units based on AV2 technology not av200 or av500. TPlink av2-1200 is very highly rated.

Your next option works very similar and is called moca. It requires you have tv coax in both rooms. It tends to be a bit faster than powerline but also cost more money and is a little more tricky to hook up.

Your last option that you use when nothing else is available is you put in a repeater/extender. This device needs to go 1/2 between the router and your room. It need to be place in a area it gets good signal from the main router and can still send the signal to the remote room. It will greatly decrease the bandwidth. Also because there are 2 radio signals you now have 2 times the interference. Wifi in general is very bad for online gaming a repeater tends to make it worse.

Solution

Latest posts