Question Problems with WiFi Speed on Laptop

May 21, 2019
Hello :D

I have a problem concerning the wireless internet connection on only one particular Laptop in my home that I couldn't solve.

When I connect said laptop to my WiFi, I get significant slower speed out of it than with any other Laptop in the exact same network (on the 'fast' laptop I get like 50Mbit/s, on the 'slow' one max. 1Mbit/s). I did put them in the exact same spot and connected both to the 2.4ghz Network for comparison because the 'slow' Laptop has no 5ghz adapter.

The problematic Laptop is a HP Pavillion DV7-6b70ez.

What did I do so far
  • tried changing channels of the router, didn't improve anything
  • Drivers are all up do date
  • re-formated computer so there is no possibility of there beeing a virus
  • Cisco-VPN Client is installed but not active
  • Wireless Connection Status is the same on both laptops with the difference, that 'Speed' shows 5.5Mbps on the 'slow' Lapotp and 144Mbps on the 'fast' one
  • the WiFi adapter on theDV7 is: Broadcom 5313GN 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
  • I did run HP Hardware Diagnostics, everything seemed fine

I really don't know what to do, couldn't find anything on the internet. Thanks a lot for your help :D

PS: I recognized that in the 'Wireless Network Connection Status' window, the Speed drops. When I disable and enable my wireless adapter, speed says 72mbps, over time it drops to 5.5mbps. Also, when i freshly enable the adapter, I get effective internet speeds of about 4.5mbps, also dropping over time.

May 21, 2019
Hey guys, thanks for the fast response :D

My BIOS Version is F.2D, dated 08/04/2014
Windows Version is Windows 10, Version 1809, Build 17763.503

I have done some more digging in the mean time and that is what I found out so far:
  • as mentionned before my actual wireless speed correlates with the 'Speed' (I will refer to it as Adapter Speed I guess?) shown in the 'Wireless Network Connection Status' Window.
  • when I disable then enable the network adapter, the adapter Speed will go up to 72Mbps and my internet connection works fine. After a while the adapter speed drops to 5.5 Mbps (it may be after my computer goes to sleep or energy saving mode....) and internet is very slow.
  • I tried to change the power management settings of my network card, but for some reason, the tab won't show up in the device manager
  • There is no setting in the HP BIOS to make the power management tab reappear (it seems to be the solution for Dell Computers)

I have indeed opened my laptop some time ago to change my HardDrive.... But it seems weird to me, since I get decent speed when I restart the Network Adapter... will have a look though

Thanks so much for your effort :D

have a nice evening

PS: I recognized that in the 'Wireless Network Connection Status' window, the Speed drops. When I disable and enable my wireless adapter, speed says 72mbps, over time it drops to 5.5mbps. Also, when i freshly enable the adapter, I get effective internet speeds of about 4.5mbps, also dropping over time.
Is this by chance an Asus router? There's a long-standing problem with their 2.4 GHz LAN network that I've never been able to figure out (first noticed it on an RT-AC56U back around 2012, and have seen the same problem reported as recently as last year on an RT-AC68U). Some devices have no problems using its 2.4 GHz LAN WiFi. Other devices have all sorts of problems - disconnects and slow transfer speeds, including initially connecting at full speed but then dropping over time.

The really weird thing is the 2.4 GHz guest network is completely unaffected. The slow devices work fine at full speed on the 2.4 GHz guest network. It's only the 2.4 GHz LAN which has the problem. The Merlin firmware does not help. The only fix I've heard of is to replace the Asus firmware with third party firmware.