Problems with windows 10 install

koalaman130

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hi,

I built a PC for a friend and it has been working fine for about 6 months now. But suddenly it would not load into windows and would just sit on the MOBO splash screen indefinitely. When I tried to reinstall windows the first time It would not even load the setup and just sit on the windows logo splash screen indefinitely. First of the specs and I will tell you what I have done so far.

specs:
CPU: intel core i5 6500
mobo: msi gaming m3 b150 chipset
storage: adata SSD + wd blue 1tb
gpu: gtx 1060
power supply: 500 watt evga

So as I said the Computer has been running fine until now and now nothing windows can load. In order to get the windows 10 setup to run I had to load ubuntu on a usb stick and format the ssd from there. Now I am able to get the windows set up to run. Now when It finishes the install i get an error that says "windows could not install on this hardware". I have tried the method that I saw on another thread to load command prompt and force the MSOOBE and that starts the setup but after all the privacy settings it says "just a moment" and hangs there indefinitely. I also ran Memtest off a usb stick and it came up with no memory errors after over 20 passes. I don't know where to go from here. I am really pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is going on. Any help is appreciated.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Out of curiosity, there are no other POST messages showing? Did your friend go into the BIOS, intentionally or unintentionally, and change any settings. In this case, starting with storage...e.g. AHCI vs. RAID or something else that would both prevent Windows from loading or even installing (i.e. looking for RAID drivers that aren't included on the Windows USB)?

koalaman130

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I have checked through bios and I don't think anything there is causing a problem. Although I don't entirely know what to look for. But I did check storage settings and it is set to AHCI not raid. I also went in and reset bios to default settings. Is there anything else in the bios I should check?

Hi,
It sounds like a defective SSD to me.

At this point I think it would be best to get another drive, even if it's a used SSD or HDD just to test to see if you can complete Windows Setup.

(I would also unhook the secondary drive for now)

I also recommend you invest in Acronis True Image and setup a weekly backup (i.e. High Compression, Incremental with full plus three incrementals then delete).. program is a bit confusing at first.

koalaman130

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

I also tried to install on the secondary 1tb hard drive instead of the ssd and it still is having the same issue.
Should I unplug the ssd and try to reinstall again?

koalaman130

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
*update/bump* I have tried to install with just the 1 tb hard drive and completely unplugged the sad and after the first reboot I get a blue screen with a stopcode error and then if reboot again it makes me run the install all over again. If needed I can get w picture of the blue screen for reference. I just really need help figuring out what is going on. Thanksa