Question Problems with windows 10 on old machine

dmmass

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
so i installed windows 10 on an old pc with a core 2 quad 8300 a geforce 8500gt cant remember the mobo and the hdd is some old samsung 500gb that has been tested with wd lifeguard both long and short test and its fine. My problem is the large amounts of bsod's ive had, and they seem to be random, like ill get ntfs.sys error once and something completely different next. All the drivers installed were by windows 10 update and in device manager none were missing. Any thoughts?

USAFRet

Titan
I would suspect a hardware issue rather than something to do with Win 10.

Start here:

dmmass

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
I would suspect a hardware issue rather than something to do with Win 10.

Start here:
yes but i tested the cpu in prime95 and the hdd it can be the mobo or the gpu

dmmass

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
It could be any number of things.
RAM, GPU, etc, etc, etc....

The link above refers to starting with an absolute minimum level of parts to get it running.

Also, have you done a clean install of WIn 10? Is this a new condition? Did it ever work properly?
i partitioned the drive before windows installs also i tested the ram with memtest and it was ok

dmmass

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014
so i did what USAFRet said, checked the link and i did all of that stuff + running tests on ram and hdd from what i see from the bsod's its always a driver or hardware error and since im 98% sure drivers are not the issue im thinking that it could be the cpu since i changed the old pentium for a old but better core 2 quad a few days ago, although i did test it 30min in prime95 or the gpu (a geforce 8500 gt)