[SOLVED] Problems with Windows 10

Apr 4, 2020
I've been running Windows 7 until 3 days ago. I invested in an ASUS B250 Pro Mainboard, an i5 7400 CPU and 32GB Memory.

Windows 10 installed fine. No problems. I installed and setup Firefox as my default browser. When I got up this morning, all the Firefox settings had vanished and it was now in German! I ran Malwarebytes scan - no problems. I rebooted and suddenly had no sound.

I re-installed the ASUS Realtek drivers - still no sound. I downloaded the latest drivers from Realtek. Still no sound. When I rebooted again, the mouse had vanished.

I downloaded Avira and ran it from another drive. - No problems. Checked for rootkits - no problem.

I made a backup after the original install. Now I'm having to restore it!!!

Is this to be expected from this pile o' crap?

Apr 4, 2020
I found the problem - WINDOWS UPDATE.

I reinstalled the computer from scratch. Everything was fine. Suddenly Widows update started and when it had finished, it rebooted and I had NO SOUND and it trashed all my Firefox settings. This time the mouse and keyboard were unaffected.

Lucky I had created a restore point a while before, but if I restore, has it already downloaded an update and will it just go ahead and install it again?