Problems with Windows 8.1

Garrick6967

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Whenever my cable goes out, my desktop becomes an expensive doorstop. My computer will not even boot. Is this Microsoft playing games? Any suggestions to overcome this issue.

Sacurason

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

That's certainly odd. Does it boot if you just turn the router/modem off? Are you connected via WiFi or Ethernet? More details would be great here, because afaik your computer's power should have nothing to do with your Internet connection.

Garrick6967

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

Garrick6967

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Sorry. My computer is useful ONLY as a doorstop when my internet connection is lost. I used the wrong term when I said 'cable'.
My point is I cannot even listen to my music on my computer since it will never finish booting. It keeps trying to boot up endlessly.

Garrick6967

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

Garrick6967

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
I am connected by an ethernet cable to a cable modem. If my internet is working fine, should I unplug the cable from the modem, my computer would shut down and start to reboot but it never finishes. It just keeps shutting down and restarting endlessly. As I said, at that point all my computer is good for is a doorstop.

I'd say - that sounds more like some malware/virus infection.

if your computer shutdown or restarts automatically when you unlug your ethernet cable from it then that is a computer problem and not an internet problem. i agree with the previous post saying that it sounds like some nasty virus or malware. the only other thing i could suggest is try another ethernet cable to rule that out

Garrick6967

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017

Garrick6967

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
I'm inclined to think it is a computer problem rather than an internet problem. However, I am more inclined to believe that it is Microsoft somehow making sure that I am always connected to the web for some nefarious reason. Despite having reformatted my hard drive and reloaded 8.1 several times, it still seems to occur. I wouldn't think the problem is because I put Windows 10 on my computer twice and then removed it, reinstalling 8.1 after reformatting the drive. BUT you never know. I thought sure that someone would have also experienced this problem and found a solution.

no version of windows has behaved that way. so if a full format and reinstall of windows did not solve it then that rules out it being a software problem

TRENDING THREADS