problems with WPA | Linksys 802..11b wireless

Greetings -

I've been happily using my LinkSys 802.11b wireless router (BEFW11S4),
with my laptop (running WinXP SP1), which has a WPC11 v4 wireless card
- but, using WEP encryption.

Fora bunch of reasons (most having to do with a desire to increase my
system security), I decided to try 'upgrading' to WPA (using PSK).
However, I've had no luck at all - if I set up the router for DHCP, my
laptop doesn't pick up an IP number. If I try a fixed IP address, I
can connect to the router, but I can't get out to the internet.

I've done all the usual things (upgrade drivers, confirm WPA patch for
WinXP installed, etc), but no luck.

What I find really puzzling is that WEP works perfectly. I've followed
the WPA instructions step for step, based on a lot of articles I've
read, and yet I'm still having no luck with it.

I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem, and am hoping there are
some common fixes out there.

Suggestions?

On 3 Jun 2004 18:19:51 -0700, cooch17@verizon.net (Johnny Canuck)
wrote:

>Greetings -
>
>I've been happily using my LinkSys 802.11b wireless router (BEFW11S4),
>with my laptop (running WinXP SP1), which has a WPC11 v4 wireless card
>- but, using WEP encryption.
>
>Fora bunch of reasons (most having to do with a desire to increase my
>system security), I decided to try 'upgrading' to WPA (using PSK).
>However, I've had no luck at all - if I set up the router for DHCP, my
>laptop doesn't pick up an IP number. If I try a fixed IP address, I
>can connect to the router, but I can't get out to the internet.
>
>I've done all the usual things (upgrade drivers, confirm WPA patch for
>WinXP installed, etc), but no luck.
>
>What I find really puzzling is that WEP works perfectly. I've followed
>the WPA instructions step for step, based on a lot of articles I've
>read, and yet I'm still having no luck with it.
>
>I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem, and am hoping there are
>some common fixes out there.
>
>Suggestions?

I'm using the exact same hardware and had the same problem. Iposted
here before you did and have had no responces. Hope you have better
luck than I have.

Kawliga

<Kawliga@home.net> wrote in message
> On 3 Jun 2004 18:19:51 -0700, cooch17@verizon.net (Johnny Canuck)
> wrote:
>
> >Greetings -
> >
> >I've been happily using my LinkSys 802.11b wireless router (BEFW11S4),
> >with my laptop (running WinXP SP1), which has a WPC11 v4 wireless card
> >- but, using WEP encryption.
> >
> >Fora bunch of reasons (most having to do with a desire to increase my
> >system security), I decided to try 'upgrading' to WPA (using PSK).
> >However, I've had no luck at all - if I set up the router for DHCP, my
> >laptop doesn't pick up an IP number. If I try a fixed IP address, I
> >can connect to the router, but I can't get out to the internet.
> >
> >I've done all the usual things (upgrade drivers, confirm WPA patch for
> >WinXP installed, etc), but no luck.
> >
> >What I find really puzzling is that WEP works perfectly. I've followed
> >the WPA instructions step for step, based on a lot of articles I've
> >read, and yet I'm still having no luck with it.
> >
> >I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem, and am hoping there are
> >some common fixes out there.
> >
> >Suggestions?
>
> I'm using the exact same hardware and had the same problem. Iposted
> here before you did and have had no responces. Hope you have better
> luck than I have.
>
> Kawliga

You may want to try switching network protocols over to NWlink IPX/SPX
instead of NetBEUI and see if that buys you anything.

It's a shot.

Duane :)

> I'm using the exact same hardware and had the same problem. Iposted
> here before you did and have had no responces. Hope you have better
> luck than I have.

If I get anything helpful via private email, I'll post it here.

Of course, LinkSys 'tech support' was singularly unhelpfull -
everything 'works' at their end.

Of course ;-)

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:22:35 GMT, Ron Bandes spoketh

>Actually, since NetBEUI and IPX don't use IP addresses they have a great
>deal to do with obtaining an IP address and getting to the Internet. You
>can use NetBEUI or IPX for your network-layer protocol to achieve
>file-sharing, but they will not help you with Internet access; you must have
>IP for that.
>
>Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

I can see that NetBEUI and IPX will allow you to communicate on your LAN
without the need for an IP address, but none of these protocols are
involved in the process of obtaining an IP address. That is done with
broadcasts, which is just a simple ethernet frame.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

You are certainly correct that NetBEUI and IPX are not involved with
obtaining an IP address. But obtaining one isn't an Ethernet function. An
Ethernet frame addressed to the broadcast MAC address (ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff)
carries an IP packet addressed to the limited broadcast address
(255.255.255.255), which carries a UDP segment addressed to the BOOTP port,
which carries a DHCP message containing the request for IP address
assignment.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 17:22:35 GMT, Ron Bandes spoketh
>
> >Actually, since NetBEUI and IPX don't use IP addresses they have a great
> >deal to do with obtaining an IP address and getting to the Internet. You
> >can use NetBEUI or IPX for your network-layer protocol to achieve
> >file-sharing, but they will not help you with Internet access; you must
have
> >IP for that.
> >
> >Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.
> >

> I can see that NetBEUI and IPX will allow you to communicate on your LAN
> without the need for an IP address, but none of these protocols are
> involved in the process of obtaining an IP address. That is done with
> broadcasts, which is just a simple ethernet frame.
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

On Sat, 05 Jun 2004 17:04:30 GMT, Ron Bandes spoketh

>You are certainly correct that NetBEUI and IPX are not involved with
>obtaining an IP address. But obtaining one isn't an Ethernet function. An
>Ethernet frame addressed to the broadcast MAC address (ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff)
>carries an IP packet addressed to the limited broadcast address
>(255.255.255.255), which carries a UDP segment addressed to the BOOTP port,
>which carries a DHCP message containing the request for IP address
>assignment.
>
>Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

I'm sure that is very correct, as some IP info would have to be in there
somewhere to indicate port 67...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

The Linksys router model number BEFW11S4 you mentioned in your post is
not capable of using the WPA standard.

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=173&scid=0
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=544

Adrian Martinez
http://www.segurogroup.com

cooch17@verizon.net (Johnny Canuck) wrote in message news:<7ddb1a30.0406031719.5ee3ab93@posting.google.com>...
> Greetings -
>
> I've been happily using my LinkSys 802.11b wireless router (BEFW11S4),
> with my laptop (running WinXP SP1), which has a WPC11 v4 wireless card
> - but, using WEP encryption.
>
> Fora bunch of reasons (most having to do with a desire to increase my
> system security), I decided to try 'upgrading' to WPA (using PSK).
> However, I've had no luck at all - if I set up the router for DHCP, my
> laptop doesn't pick up an IP number. If I try a fixed IP address, I
> can connect to the router, but I can't get out to the internet.
>
> I've done all the usual things (upgrade drivers, confirm WPA patch for
> WinXP installed, etc), but no luck.
>
> What I find really puzzling is that WEP works perfectly. I've followed
> the WPA instructions step for step, based on a lot of articles I've
> read, and yet I'm still having no luck with it.
>
> I'm guessing this is a fairly common problem, and am hoping there are
> some common fixes out there.
>
> Suggestions?

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 03:10:07 GMT, Wayne spoketh

>I had a similar problem with my Linksys, WRT54G, after I changed one of
>the settings. Does your router have an Advanced settings tab under
>wireless? Did you change any of the default settings there? If so,
>change them back to the defaults, they are listed to the right of each
>entry. Then try to connect.
>
>I had changed the first entry, Authenication Type, to pre-shared key and
>couldn't connect to the internet after that. Returning the entry to
>Auto fixed the problem.
>
>Wayne

Don't confuse "Open", "Shared" and "Auto" for the authentication type
with "Pre-shared key" for encryption. It's two entirely different
things.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net