Problems with x2 and Opteron???

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
My buddy is helping me decide on what cpu to get. I'm thinking about Opteron 170 or x2 4400. He posted a topic in anatech and asked how good are Opteron's. He said, people stated that it's good to know your bios and that Amd has trouble shooting problems with games. Since I know i'm not good with comps, I dont know if i should get one now. This sucks if it's true :cry:

endyen

Splendid
Amd has trouble shooting problems with games.
Sounds like an idiot to me. Amd does no troubleshooting. Thier chips run games flawlessly
people stated that it's good to know your bios
Always a good idea, and easy to learn, but more true if you want to OC that way. The only other way to OC is with Abit's uguru. I'm a big fan of uguru, but I still like to set the bios up right.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Amd has trouble shooting problems with games.
Sounds like an idiot to me. Amd does no troubleshooting. Thier chips run games flawlessly
people stated that it's good to know your bios
Always a good idea, and easy to learn, but more true if you want to OC that way. The only other way to OC is with Abit's uguru. I'm a big fan of uguru, but I still like to set the bios up right.
I was at fry's electronic's I dont know if you have one in your area, but I saw the Abit's uguru. It was about $150. Even though I do game but not hard core I still want a decent mobo but no high end. I do want features like sata 2, ata/100 and what not. I plan on getting a eVGA 7800gt or soemthing similiear but not doing the sli becuase it's a waste of money and i dont have the funds. I was thinking of getting a OPTY 170, 175 or x2 4400, but so far I can't decide. I do plan on OCing but later in the future. Of course I will have someone else do it for me. But for now something that runs really well, stable, can handle multi-apps and what not. And quick of course. What is your take?

Sunset1

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Heh I still have a 4600 somewhere. Overpriced but I loved that card. I had to.

If you go on AMD's forums you may find a frantic post about x2 technology. I did for a while until I also read the same type of posts put out by frantic people on Intel platforms also.

When I bougt my system the x2 duals were priced obsolete. However I got a dual supermicro board with some 246 chips that are so stable fast and smoking. Oh and did I mention the almost imfamous Upgradeable word? They are cheap also. Those boards take ecc reg memory tho.
I was lucky and found a supplier on ebay that was selling Top tested used memory from servers. It was the only real cost cutting chance I took.

Btw the new video is the 7800GTX and after all of the new software and hardware upgrades and bloatware
your machine is probably as fast. heheh j/k

Good luck.
Sunset1